Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Citizens Information Service
Public Works

Spring Weight Restrictions

Spring weight restrictions ended 11:59 p.m. Friday, May 10, 2024

To protect streets from excessive damage during spring thaw conditions, spring weight restrictions are imposed each year during the period of mid-March to the end of May, unless the Director of Public Works declares otherwise. This page is updated to advise the public when restrictions are in effect.

Spring weight restrictions are imposed on all affected streets in the City of Winnipeg as follows:

Weight Restriction - 90% of Normal Axle Loads

Asphalt Streets:

  • 90% of normal loading on other axle groups
Weight Restriction - 65% of Normal Axle Loads

Granular Streets:

  • 65% of normal loading on all axle groups

Any person operating a vehicle in contravention of these restrictions shall be liable to a fine.

To report a noncompliant vehicle or for more information regarding allowable weights, contact the Winnipeg Police Service Vehicle Inspection Section at 204-794-4711, Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

For detailed current information regarding spring weight restrictions, including weight limits, please refer to the Manitoba Spring Road Restrictions (SRR) Program website.

When Spring Weight Restrictions are in affect, Move Permits on weight-restricted roads are administered by the City of Winnipeg. The two step process requires contacting:

Exception for essential commodities

Certain exceptions for essential commodities apply during the spring weight restriction period. Essential commodities that do not require a permit include:

  • Drinking water
  • Domestic sewage
  • Municipal refuse
  • Groceries and pharmaceuticals
  • Fuel
  • Fertilizer / seed
  • Livestock feed
  • Equipment and material for emergencies including floods, spills and derailments

Note: For commodities not listed above, permits are issued to prevent undue hardships or for economic necessity.

Commodities that require a permit


  • Irreducible loads of machinery/equipment
  • Grain to satisfy quotas
  • Other requests are considered at the discretion of the Public Works Department (call 204-986-6006).
  • Any exemption for relief from Level 1 (90%) road restrictions requires a permit.

Despite the imposition of Level 2 (65% of normal axle loads) road restrictions:

  • Level 1 (90% of normal axle loads) applies to Transit buses, school buses and Public Works maintenance vehicles.
  • A vehicle may transport essential commodities at Level 1 (90%) road restriction weights using the most direct route.

Last update: May 13, 2024
Error processing SSI file

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.