National Day for Truth and Reconciliation – Saturday, September 30. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services from September 30 to October 2.
Request for Expressions of Interest: Mobile Outreach Support Services Grant Program
The Mobile Outreach Support Services Grant Program (the “Program”) was established to offer funding to one or more community-based organizations to provide mobile outreach support services to individuals who are unsheltered, or are living in encampments. Outreach services include safety and wellbeing checks, transportation, transfer to emergency shelters, the distribution of warm clothing, blankets, water, coffee, food, harm reduction supplies, as well as referrals to programs or community agencies coordinating access to housing, healthcare, mental health and addictions services.
Aligned with the City’s recently adopted Poverty Reduction Strategy and the 2019 recommendations of the Illicit Drug Task Force, the Program aims to connect individuals experiencing unsheltered homelessness to systems of support for the following priority populations: individuals experiencing unsheltered homelessness, individuals who use substances, individuals with mental health concerns, Indigenous community members, 2SLGBTQ+ community members and sexually exploited girls and women, with a focus on areas in Winnipeg with high levels of poverty.
In the City’s 2022 budget update, City Council approved $1.1 million dollars to support the continuation of mobile outreach services in 2022 and 2023. This includes $550,000 in 2022, and $550,000 in 2023. However, Council also directed that from these funds, dedicated grant funding of $100,000 be provided to Main Street Project to continue its mobile outreach support up to March 31, 2022. For this reason, only $450,000 in grant funding is available in 2022 to provide mobile outreach services from April 1, 2022 through December 31, 2022, while $550,000 is available in 2023. If approved for funding, successful applicants will be funded for both 2022 and 2023, provided the grant recipients meet the requirements of the funding agreement.
The City is committed to working with partner agencies to find long term solutions to support unsheltered individuals. Program applicants may be approved for partial or full allotment of available funding. Partnership applications will be considered, and will require a lead organization to enter into a funding agreement with the City, taking responsibility for managing all funding and reporting requirements.
- Program applicants must be a non-profit organization
- Funded activities must take place in the City of Winnipeg
- Applicants must demonstrate how the grant funding will support individuals experiencing unsheltered homelessness
- Applicants must demonstrate how they meet the following criteria:
- Provide outreach services 24 hours a day
- Offer culturally appropriate programs and supports and/or identify as an Indigenous organization and/or provide Indigenous-led services and/or partner with Indigenous-led organizations
- Utilize a harm-reduction and trauma-informed approach to service delivery
- Hire, retain and support Indigenous staff and staff with lived experience of homelessness and poverty
- Use a person-centered approach to supporting community members
- Demonstrate collaboration with partner groups to encourage a coordinated approach to street outreach and supporting individuals experiencing unsheltered homelessness
- Demonstrate how mobile outreach services will support individuals in accessing transitional and/or longer-term housing.
- Applicants must demonstrate how they directly support one or more of following priority populations:
- Individuals experiencing unsheltered homelessness
- Individuals who use substances
- Individuals with a mental health concern
- Indigenous community members
- 2SLGBTQ+ community members
- Sexually exploited girls and women
- Preference will be given to applicants that have demonstrated experience providing mobile outreach services
Review Process and Timelines
All 2022/2023 Mobile Outreach Support Services Grant Program applications will be evaluated by a multi-stakeholder review committee, led by the Public Service.
February 14 – March 4, 2022 – Request for Expressions of Interest process open
March 4, 2022 – Final date to submit application
March 5 – March 18, 2022 – Application review period
Only applications selected by the review committee will be notified in writing. All approved grantees will be subject to entering into an agreement with the City setting the terms and conditions of such funding.
All grantees of the 2022/2023 Mobile Outreach Support Services Grant Program agree to report at the times and in the manner required by the City of Winnipeg. Grantees shall provide the following information:
- Data collection requirements and performance indicators using activity reporting template;
- Qualitative & quantitative data highlighting key outcomes for the reporting period;
- Any observable positive outcomes or impacts that reflect successful implementation of the funded activity;
- Any lessons learned by the organization in developing and implementing the funded activity;
- Any active collaborations the organization is a part of to address homelessness;
- The organization’s future intentions as they relate to sustaining the funded activity;
- Other reporting as requested by the City of Winnipeg
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.