Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Braille, Wheelchair, Large Print, and Sign Language

Accessibility Services
Provided Upon Request

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service

What to do when lights and sirens approach

When an emergency vehicle (ambulance, fire or police), sounding an alarm and flashing lights, is approaching from any direction you must yield right-of-way by:

  • immediately moving clear of an intersection if you are stopped for a red light or stop sign (If blocking the path of an emergency vehicle, you must proceed through a red light or stop sign with caution, to clear the way.)

  • driving as closely as possible to the right curb or edge of roadway

  • remaining stopped at the edge of the road until the emergency vehicles have passed

Note:On one-way streets, pull right or left to the nearest curb so as not to block the emergency vehicle.

For more details see the Drivers Handbook from Manitoba Public Insurance

Use the letters S I R E N to remember the right way to yield to an emergency vehicle.

SStay Alert - Drive defensively, keep the noise level down in your car and look for more than one emergency vehicle approaching when you hear a siren.
I Investigate - Check your rear-view mirror, and look in all directions before pulling over to the right. Estimate the closing speed of the emergency vehicle, and look for any other emergency vehicles before you plan your next move.
RReact - React quickly, but calmly. Always use a turn signal when exiting the roadway and don't slam on the brakes or pull over suddenly.
EEnter - Make another visual sweep in all directions, turn on your turn signal, and gradually and safely merge back into traffic.
NNever stop at a place that doesn't have enough room to pull over safely and never follow or try to outrun an emergency vehicle.

Remember, it is important to let emergency vehicles through ... next time; they could be trying to reach you, or your loved one.
Last update: January 23, 2018
WFPS YouTube Videos

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.