There is no charge for a Consumer Fireworks Display Permit.

You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase fireworks and to obtain a permit.

It is recommended you apply for your permit well in advance of holiday weekends in order to avoid any possible delays. If fireworks will be part of a park rental, allow for a minimum of 10 business days to process the request.

A permit is not required for the use of hand-held sparklers or caps for toy guns.

What information do I need to provide for the permit application?

Any legal identification that has the applicant's name on it such as a Birth Certificate and/or Driver's License that has a current address on it is acceptable.

Also, remember to bring any written consent forms that are required if you are not the owner of the property.

Is an inspection of my display site required?

Not necessarily! In some situations where clearances to combustible materials or buildings are questionable, an inspection may be conducted by the Fire Department person to determine if the site is suitable for a fireworks display.

What clearances to combustible structures are required?

Your firing base (eg. mound or non-combustible pail of sand or earth) must be a minimum of 100 feet away for fountains and other ground-based items from the nearest building.

Roman Candles require a minimum clearance of 30m x 30m. (Approximately 100' x 100') Ensure there are no overhead wires, branches or other obstructions when setting up your display.

Keep a metal pail or other suitable container partly filled with water for disposal of fireworks.

Where can I set off my fireworks?

Most residential properties may not be able to meet the 100 foot required clearances. No person shall set off any fireworks in or into any building, doorway, automobile, or other place where such setting off might create a danger or nuisance to any person or property.

No person may ignite, fire or set off any fireworks or cause any fireworks to be ignited, fired or set off in or on or into any highway, street, lane, square or any other public place except as otherwise permitted by this by-law and the setting off of "firecrackers" is strictly prohibited.

Remember, all spectators should maintain a safe distance (recommended minimum 100 feet) from the firing base.

What if I don't own the property?

The applicant must provide written consent from the registered owner or owner's agent of the land for which the Permit will be requested.

No person may ignite, fire or set off fireworks on or over land owned by the City of Winnipeg or land over which the city has possession or control unless the person has obtained permission to do so from the City Department which has responsibility for the land;

and has agreed in writing to assume all liability associated with the fireworks display, fully indemnifying the City and saving it harmless from any liability associated with the fireworks display.

How do I prepare for my display?

First of all, read and comply with the manufacturer's instructions on all fireworks. Plan the firing order before you begin. Make a firing base (eg. mound of sand or earth) from which to set off your fireworks.

Bury all long fireworks at least halfway down into the firing base. Light all fireworks at arms length, standing back and keeping your face turned away. Preferably use an "igniter stick" to set off your fireworks. Light carefully, and always light the fuse at its tip.

Remember to protect your eyes with safety glasses or safety goggles! Provide a pail of water or garden hose attached to a water supply to be used if necessary as a fire extinguisher. Do not fire in windy conditions, and store fireworks in a cool, dry, ventilated place in a locked container, away from children.

Do I require a permit for a display at my cottage?

Check with the local Municipal Authority for the area where your cottage is located for any specific regulations or conditions that may apply.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.