Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Transit bus delays and cancellations possible beginning Monday, Nov 27. Check your bus schedule online before heading out.

Transit bus delays and cancellations possible beginning Monday, Nov 27. Check your bus schedule online before heading out.

Indigenous Relations Division

August 2016

Indigenous artists invited to create public art in downtown Winnipeg

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

By: Stephanie Taylor Metro Published on Fri Aug 19 2016

The Winnipeg Arts Council is searching for Indigenous artists to create more public art downtown.

The council has put out a call for First Nations, Metis and Inuit visual artists to submit expressions of interest to conceptualize and design three public artworks for Air Canada Window Park, located at the corner of Portage Avenue and Carlton Street.

In its call to artists, the council touts the site as a gathering place for our city’s local Indigenous community.

The council said the idea to commission the artworks came after a meeting between a group of Indigenous artists, elders, scholars and curators.

In their submission, artists are asked to consider the importance of the site in the context of being Treaty One land, which is the traditional territory of the Anishinaabe people and homeland of the Metis nation.

If successful, one artist will be awarded a budget of $200,000 while the remaining two will each received $100,000.

Artists are invited to submit their expressions of interest until September 8.

The projects are to be installed by next fall.

Find the original article here

Shahina Siddiqui, Michael Redhead Champagne named humanitarians of the year

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Two well-known Winnipeg activists, Shahina Siddiqui and Michael Redhead Champagne, are being honoured with the prestigious Canadian Red Cross Humanitarian of the Year awards.

Siddiqui, founder and executive director of the Winnipeg-based Islamic Social Services Association, is being recognized as the 2016 Humanitarian of the Year.

Michael Redhead Champagne, also known as North End MC, is the founder and organizer of Aboriginal Youth Opportunities (AYO!) and this year's Young Humanitarian of the Year.

The awards will be presented Sept. 8 at the Canadian Red Cross Power of Humanity Luncheon.

"Both Shahina and Michael have given tirelessly of themselves to bring together people in their respective cultures in a positive manner," said Shawn Feely, vice-president for the Canadian Red Cross in Manitoba.

"They have also both dedicated themselves to bridging cultural differences and connecting people of various backgrounds to work for the common good. They have both shown the power of humanity through their volunteer work and deserve to be recognized."

Siddiqui and ISSA have been dedicated to ensuring new Canadians, especially recent refugees from Syria, have the necessary support to build a new life in Manitoba, states a news release from the Red Cross.

"Her humanitarian efforts have not only benefited refugees but the whole community, as she works to promote tolerance and understanding among people of different cultures and faiths … as well as raising awareness about Islamic people in Manitoba," the news release says.

Champagne has spent countless hours of volunteer work on projects such as the weekly Meet Me at the Bell Tower anti-violence rallies in the city's North End, dedicating himself to positively helping and uniting people of various backgrounds, states the news release.

"Shahina and Michael's success proves that any effort at helping people is time well spent, and that one person's dedication can improve the lives of many," said John Stinson, CEO of Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries, which sponsors the awards.

Last update: March 6, 2017

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.