Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Planning, Property & Development

Commercial Plumbing / Mechanical Inspections

Commercial plumbing/mechanical inspectors conduct inspections of plumbing, HVAC distribution and sprinkler systems on all commercial buildings and structures.

Prior to any new construction, demolition, addition or alteration to any part of a plumbing, or mechanical/sprinkler system, it is important to ensure that a permit has been obtained prior to starting any work.

City inspectors review the following types of plumbing/mechanical installations:

  • potable water supplies & piping
  • drainage systems
  • venting systems
  • repair garages
  • storage garage exhaust
  • welding exhaust systems
  • roof drainage systems
  • kitchen exhaust systems
  • sprinkler systems
  • stand pipe systems
  • fire pumps
  • paint spray booths
  • dust collection systems
  • HVAC systems
  • fire dampers

Note: The above list is not inclusive, nor is it intended to exclude any other type of construction and/or installation of equipment. An inspection is required before any plumbing or mechanical/sprinkler installation or portion thereof is concealed and at final completion.

Mandatory Inspection Stages

Each plumbing and mechanical (i.e. HVAC, sprinkler) contractor must request an inspection at completion of each of the following stages when applicable to the project:

  • underground
  • rough in
  • final

Multiple progress inspections may be required at each mandatory inspection stage based on the size and progress of the project.

Note: Progress inspections are mandatory prior to requesting occupancy.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Mechanical and Plumbing Information Centre
Provides mechanical and plumbing information, including brochures, by-laws, and forms.

Last update: October 13, 2023

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.