Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Planning, Property & Development

Commercial Sign Inspections

Commercial sign inspectors conduct inspections of all permanent commercial signs for structural, electrical and placement compliance.

Prior to any construction or alteration to a sign or any part of a sign, it is important to ensure that a permit has been obtained prior to starting any work.

City inspectors review the following types of signs and sign-related work:

  • signs attached to a building/structure that are installed outdoors or indoors (i.e. when visible from a public right-of-way)
  • permanent free-standing signs
  • air supported signs
  • structural components of signs and methods of attachment
  • electrical connections
  • placement where signs project on private/public property

Note: The above list is not inclusive, nor is it intended to exclude any other type of installation/construction of signs.

Operational Standards for Digital Signs

Operational requirements for digital signs form part of the City's zoning bylaws and are included as one of the conditions of any digital sign permit issued by the City of Winnipeg.

Review operational standards for digital signs regulated by the Downtown Winnipeg Zoning By-law 100/2004 in Section 220(3.1).

Review operational standards for digital signs regulated by the Winnipeg Zoning By-law 200/2006 in Section 183.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Electrical Information Centre
Provides electrical information, including brochures, by-laws, and forms.

Last update: October 13, 2023

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.