Creek Bend Road Bridge Replacement
The current Creek Bend Road Bridge over the Seine River is an approximately 70-year-old timber bridge nearing the end of its service life. It is load-restricted, width-restricted, and in poor condition. Additionally, the Province of Manitoba is in the process of implementing safety improvements on PTH 100 (the South Perimeter Highway). These improvements will change the way the local street network provides access to the area. The City and Province have partnered to replace the existing Creek Bend Road Bridge, which will ensure access is maintained for residents and businesses during and after the PTH 100 improvement project.
- Project Design
November 2023: Construction of the new bridge will start this winter and continue through Summer 2024. Please see this construction notice for more information.
Preliminary and detailed design will occur through 2022 and 2023. Tendering for construction is expected in Fall 2023. Construction is anticipated to occur partly in the winter of 2023/2024, with final bridge and roadwork being completed in Summer 2024. The new bridge is expected to open to traffic by September 1, 2024.
The existing bridge will be closed to traffic during construction. Staging of the work is anticipated to occur in the following order:
Phase 1 (Summer/Fall 2022)
MTI to complete construction of a new service road, extending Aimes Road west and up to Creek Bend Road (to connect with St. Anne’s Road).
- The existing connection from PTH 100 to Aimes Road will remain open until construction of the new service road is complete.
- The existing bridge on Creek Bend Road will also remain in service during this time.
Phase 2 (2023/24)
City of Winnipeg will reconstruct the bridge on Creek Bend Road over the Seine River.
- The connection from PTH 100 to Aimes Road is closed.
- Traffic coming from or going to either Sioux Road West or Creek Bend Road (east of the Seine River) will use the newly constructed service road (Aimes Road) during this time.
- It is anticipated the new Creek Bend Road Bridge will be open to traffic by September 1, 2024.
- During or immediately following bridge construction, MTI will construct the rail crossing and connection of Aimes Road and Melnick Road.
Phase 3 (Beyond 2024)
With the bridge on Creek Bend Road now replaced and open to traffic, a portion of Sioux Road West can be permanently closed.
- This will facilitate construction and subsequent opening of a new rail crossing of the CP Emerson Subdivision.
- This rail crossing will connect Aimes Road with Melnick Road, allowing closure of the connection from PTH 100 directly to Melnick Road.
|Bridge elevation drawing||2023-05-15||Drawing|
|Bridge cross-section drawing||2023-05-15||Drawing|
|Transport Canada legal notice||2023-05-15||Advertisement|
Update - May 2023: The preliminary design study is now complete. The proposed design has the following features:
- New bridge over the Seine River:
- An 8.8-m-wide driving surface for one lane in each direction
- A 2.5-m-wide sidewalk on the west side of the bridge to support current and future pedestrian and cycling connections
- No load restrictions
- Accommodations for commercial and emergency vehicles
- Under-bridge clearance for paddlecraft such as canoes and kayaks
- Design features to maintain the ecological integrity of the Seine River environment
- Road and pathway:
- Improves connection of and accommodates future extension of the Bois-des-Esprits pathway along the west side of the Seine River.
- New seating node adjacent to the pathway
- A new 3.5-m-wide multiuse path along the west side of Creek Bend Road from the bridge to the south
- A new 1.5-m-wide sidewalk along the east side of Creek Bend Road from the bridge to the south
- Fully paved surface south of the bridge with new concrete pavement
- Added asphalt pavement surface north of the bridge to transition from the new bridge back to the existing gravel road
If you have questions about this project please contact:
Paul Graveline, Stakeholder Outreach Lead
Morrison Hershfield Ltd.