Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Citizens Information Service
Public Works

Local Improvement Program

Why do we have a Local Improvement Program?

The Local Improvement Program provides a method for property owners to share the cost of constructing improvements when the frontage representing at least 60% of the benefiting property supports the improvement. The Local Improvement Program is not applicable to the renewal of existing structures (sidewalks, street and lane pavements, sewers, watermain, etc.)

Initiation of a local improvement:

A local improvement may be proposed in two ways:

  1. By City Council. Typically commenced by resolution of a Community Committee.

  2. By a formal petition prepared by the City and signed by registered owners of at least 60% of the total frontage of non-City property that is to be benefited by the proposed local improvement. A successfully signed Petition For (at least 60%) is required by The City of Winnipeg Charter to allow the local Community Committee to approve that the local improvement proceed to the Public Advertisement process.

    • "Petition For" – A benefitting property owner(s) (the initiator(s)) circulate a formal "Petition For" provided by the City to obtain signatures from benefitting property owners.

    • Advertisement - the local improvement is advertised in a local newspaper and a notice is also sent to all the benefitting property owners. If a benefitting property owner is opposed to the local improvement, they can obtain a "Petition Against" from the City and obtain signatures in opposition to the proposed works from the benefitting property owners. The results of the petition are then forwarded to the local Community Committee for their approval/rejection of the local improvement. Signatures, representing at least 60% of the frontage of benefitting property, is considered to be sufficient to defeat a local improvement.

    • City owned property is not included in determining the results of petitions for or against local improvements.

Where do I start? Back lane

To initiate a local improvement it is suggested that you informally survey the benefitting property owners to gauge support. The City can provide assistance in creating a handout notice for this process. If there appears to be sufficient support you may submit a request in writing for a formal petition.

A written request can be made by letter, email, or fax to the personnel identified below. Include the type of local improvement work requested (see "Fee Schedule" link to the left for typical local improvements), location of where the construction or installation of this work is proposed, and a brief explanation of why you feel this local improvement is needed.

Local Improvement Program contacts

To initiate a local improvement or obtain further information please contact the following:

  • Underground installations, i.e. all sewer and watermain works:
    Services Development Engineer, Engineering Division
    Water and Waste Department at 204-986-7626.
  • Surface Works including new lighting:
    Pavement Estimates Officer, Engineering Division
    Public Works Department at 204-986-3480
    Administrative Assistant, Engineering Division
    Public Works at 204-986-4011
  • Assessment/Financing concerns in regards to local improvements:
    Senior Local Improvement Clerk - Assessment and Taxation Department at 204-986-2539.

Relocating Street/Lane lighting poles

Relocation of existing street/lane light poles will generally be allowed. Please note that once approved, the cost of the relocation will be the responsibility of the applicant. These costs typically run between $1000 to $3000, but can increase substantially depending on circumstance. For example, relocating wood poles that are also carrying Hydro overhead may be substantially more.

To initiate a Street Light/Lane Light Relocation or to obtain further information please contact:
Lighting Systems Technologist III, Transportation Division, Public Works at 204-986-6227.

To initiate a relocate for Hydro Poles that have NO street/lane lighting attached should be directed to Manitoba Hydro Service & lighting applications - Commercial

Report a Street Light Problem.

Last update: July 27, 2022

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.