Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Citizens Information Service
Public Works

Report a street light problem

Street Lighting is a partnership between the City of Winnipeg and Manitoba Hydro.

  • The City of Winnipeg sets the lighting levels and approves the design drawings.
  • Manitoba Hydro designs the street lighting layouts, installs the lights, and performs the street lighting maintenance.

Report a street light problem online to Manitoba Hydro for:

  • Street light burnt out;
  • Street lighting standard knocked down;
  • Street light damaged;
  • Street lights on during the daytime;
  • Street lights that are cycling on and off;
  • Flyers taped to street light poles;
  • Graffiti on street light or hydro poles;
  • Street lighting on bridge;
  • Lighting in an underpass.

Or phone Manitoba Hydro
Within Winnipeg: 204-480-5900
Outside Winnipeg: 1-888-MBHYDRO (1-888-624-9376)

Report a traffic signal malfunction
Report a traffic light not working, damaged, lights flashing, dim, or burnt out

The City of Winnipeg has adopted the latest Transportation Association of Canada's Street Lighting Design Guide that stipulates the light levels for the City's streets. This is the criteria that defines the number of lights and the wattage used to illuminate City streets. The main purpose of street lighting is to "provide an adequate visual environment for road users to safely use the road system during hours of darkness."

Contact 311 for questions regarding:

  • Street lighting levels;
  • Street lighting design standards;
  • Requests to increase/decrease street lighting levels. Please note:
    • Lighting levels will be modified only if they do not meet the design standards mentioned above.
    • Levels will not be modified due to instances of vandalism or crime.
Security lighting is a benefit, not a function of street lighting.

Information on relocating street/lane lighting poles

Last update: January 23, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.