In order to operate a vehicle for hire, an individual must:
- Be registered with a licenced dispatcher
- Maintain a valid Class 5 Manitoba driver’s licence
- Have not been convicted within the previous 10 years of a major driving offence
- Have not been convicted within the previous 10 years of a relevant criminal offence unless a record suspension (pardon) has been issued in respect of that offence
- Not be registered on the child abuse registry
Driving a Personal Transportation Provider (PTP) vehicle or taxi can be a dangerous job. Workplace violence includes both physical assaults and verbal abuse like yelling or name-calling. Drivers, please familiarize yourself with these safety tips:
- Taxi Driver Safety - Fast Facts | Chauffeurs de taxi – En Bref
- PTP Driver Safety - Fast Facts | Fournisseurs de transport personnel – En Bref
Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for taxi and PTP drivers
We recognize that the taxi and personal transport providers may have concerns regarding the possible implications of the outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
We advise all drivers, including taxi, limousine and personal transport providers, to follow these simple and sensible steps at all times and particularly in the wake of the outbreak of Coronavirus. We would also encourage drivers to take sensible and routine precautionary measures such as cleaning surfaces regularly with sanitizing wipes or spray to disinfect. As always, taxi drivers should perform regular cleaning of PIN payment pad devices. Drivers who share a taxi or personal transport provider vehicles should perform regular cleaning of high touch areas. Please familiarize yourself with the safety tips provided in the COVID-19 – Fast Facts.