Canada Day – Monday, July 1. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services.

Canada Day – Monday, July 1. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services.

Customer water & sewer issues

1. No water or poor water pressure

There are several reasons why you may have no water or poor water pressure:

  • Water main break
  • Frozen pipes
  • Private plumbing issues like:
    • Old galvanized piping in house
    • Plugged water softeners
    • Broken faucets
    • Plugged aeration screens on faucets
    • Plugged water meter
  • Leaking service pipes
    • Confirm the leak is a leak. Sometimes what appears to be a leak may actually be a:
    • Confirm if the leak is on a residential property. A residential property’s plumbing extends from the property to the shut off valve, on or near the property line. Possible sources of leaks include:
      • Pipes on your property
      • Fire sprinkler system
      • Combined fire and domestic service
    • If you need to repair a private plumbing leak, there are things you should know before you start

If you are having issues with your water, call 311.

2. Water shut off & turn on for home repairs

Water shut off

  • Locate your shut-off valve. It is usually in the basement of your home near an outside wall.
    • The inlet side of the valve is connected to the water supply.
    • The outlet side of the valve is connected to the water meter.
  • If there is a leak before the control valve by the meter and you can’t shut off the water to your home, we will shut off the water free of charge. Call 311 to schedule a service.
  • If we are required to turn off the water because the shut-off valve by the meter is broken, it must be repaired or replaced before the water is turned back on. It is your responsibility to repair or replace it. Visit

Water turn on

  • When repairs inside the property have been completed, we will turn on the water to the property.
  • There is no charge to turn on water after repairs.
  • To prevent damage from a tap that may have been left open, someone must be home before the water service is turned back on.
  • If we were required to turn off the water because the control valve by the meter was broken, you must repair or replace the valve before the water is turned back on.
  • When our staff come out to turn on your water, they may exchange your water meter if it is due for replacement.
  • To prevent property damage, there must be a contractor onsite before the water is turned back on.

The following information applies to residential properties only. If you have a commercial property or would like more information about our water services, visit water services or call 311.

3. Water quality

If you notice any of the following in your water, here is what you should do:

Discoloured water: Do not use water for any purposes that require clean water, such as for drinking, preparing food and beverages, or laundry. Visit MyUtilityInfo to see if there is nearby water main activity that has caused the discoloured water. Visit discoloured water for more information.

Taste of chlorine: We have to maintain an adequate chlorine level at every customer tap to ensure the safety of the water and to meet regulations. If you can taste or smell chlorine in your water, fill a container of water and keep it in the fridge overnight. The majority of the chlorine will be gone by the following day.

Cloudy water: Water is cloudy due to tiny air bubbles in the water. This is harmless and will disappear if you let the water sit in a glass for a few minutes.

For more information about our water quality, visit drinking water.

In the event there is a water quality problem that could affect public health, Winnipeg residents will be informed immediately.

4. Water main break

Visit MyUtilityInfo to see if there is any water main activity in your area or contact 311 to report a water main break.

In some cases, water can be discoloured after a water main break, but this should not last long. Do not use discoloured water for any purposes that require clean water. For more information, visit discoloured water.

If your property is damaged due to a water main break, inform your home insurance provider. Insurance for damages caused by water main breaks are included in most residential and commercial property insurance policies. The City is not liable for loss or damage as a result of a break or malfunction of a water main unless it is established that the break, malfunction or failure was the result of the negligence of the City or its employee.

For more information about water main breaks, visit

5. Sewer back up & basement flooding

If your sewer backed up:

  • Notify your home insurance provider.
  • We are not responsible for sewer backup unless we have been negligent. If you believe this is the case, you or your insurance provider can make a claim. Visit sewer pipe responsibilities for more information.

If your basement has flooded:

6. Leaking or broken water meters

Meter leaks should be reported immediately to 311. You can attempt to control the leak by closing the shut off valve by the meter. For more information, visit

7. Flooded streets & lanes

Contact 311 to report plugged catch basins or flooding in your front street or back lane. For more information about flooding, visit

8. Utility billing

MyUtility is an easy way for Winnipeg residents to access utility bills, monitor water consumption, set recycling, garbage and yard waste reminders, and much more.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.