We provide the following services to operate water valves and supply water. Please contact 311 to inquire about any of these services.
Commercial property owners are responsible for repairing, renewing, maintaining or removing all fire protection water piping and valves.
Water turn off
- If you can't shut off the water to your home because there is a leak before the control valve by the meter or because the control valve is not working, we will shut off the water. There is no charge for this service.
- Your control valve is usually located in the basement of your home near an outside wall.
- The inlet side of the valve is connected to the water supply.
- The outlet side of the valve is connected to the water meter.
- If we are required to turn off the water because the shut-off valve by the meter is broken, it must be repaired or replaced before the water is turned back on. It is your responsibility to repair or replace it.
- We will turn off the water at no charge.
- Commercial property owners are responsible for repairing, renewing, supporting or removing all fire service piping and valves.
Water turn on
- When repairs inside the property have been completed, we will turn on the water to the property.
- There is no charge to turn on water after repairs.
- To prevent damage from a tap that may have been left open, someone must be home before the water service is turned back on.
- If we were required to turn off the water because the control valve by the meter was broken, you must repair or replace the valve before the water is turned back on.
- When our staff come out to turn on your water, they may exchange your water meter if it is due for replacement.
Contractor request for water main turn off/on
To prevent property damage, there must be someone onsite before the water is turned back on.
- If a commercial property is without water and requires an uninterrupted supply of water, a temporary hose line can be installed at the customer's expense.
- This solution is appropriate when there is a prolonged outage and there is a suitable and readily available alternate supply to connect to.
- The cost to provide this service includes labour, material and equipment.
- The charges for this service vary due to the complexity of the installation and the length of time the temporary service is required.
- During winter, a continuous flow of water is required to prevent a hose line from freezing.