Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Adjustment of sewer charges program

This program is for customers who use large volumes of water not discharged to the wastewater system, land drainage works, or into a body of water (e.g., river, stream, retention pond).

Examples of approved applications include:

  • water lost to evaporation (e.g., cooling tower)
  • water used in product (e.g., food manufacturing)

The program is based on volume, not on specific processes. We review each application separately.


To qualify, you must:

  1. Submit an application form along with all required information.
  2. Pay in advance the application fee as listed in the Fees and Charges Schedule.
  3. Demonstrate by water meter readings that more than 1,000 kilolitres of your annual water use does not go into the wastewater system, land drainage works or into a body of water.
  4. Pay for the installation of cold water meters and any plumbing modifications required.
  5. Supply, install and maintain a wastewater meter, or any other meter, if required.

You can find full details of the program requirements in the City of Winnipeg Sewer By-law 106/2018, Section 97.

Estimate of adjustment

To estimate the adjustment:

  1. estimate the amount of water you used that did not go into the sewer system
  2. subtract 1,000 kilolitres
  3. multiply by the current sewer rate.

Applying for the adjustment

To apply, complete the application Icon indicating a pdf file which will open up a new browser window. (pdf - 358kb)

If you qualify for the adjustment
  1. You will pay sewer charges on the first 1,000 kilolitres of water used.
  2. We will credit the initial application fee (and subsequent renewal fees), back to your account.
  3. We will supply and maintain the cold water meters. If they are already in place, we will replace them as required.
  4. We will credit the sewer charge adjustment to your account annually.
  5. You will pay a renewal fee as listed in Schedule "A" for subsequent years.
To opt out of the program

Do not pay the annual renewal fee.

For more information, contact 311.

Last updated: March 7, 2024
Error processing SSI file
Error processing SSI file

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.