Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Residential lot grading

It is important to grade your lot so that water flows away from your house but does not affect neighbouring properties.

As the property owner, you are responsible for your lot grading. You and your builder should read the City of Winnipeg Lot Grading By-Law before:

  • deciding on the grading for a new house, or
  • making changes to existing grading.
Surface drainage problems

Improper lot grading can cause poor surface drainage. Runoff from heavy rain or melting snow can result in:

  • standing water,
  • flooding,
  • foundation settlement or damage, or
  • basement dampness.

Direct surface drainage away from your foundation and especially from window wells.

If you, or your neighbours, are having drainage problems, there are several things you can do:

  • Check your own surface drainage, and see our frequently asked questions (FAQ) for answers to your questions about common drainage problems.
  • Talk to your neighbours if water is draining from their property onto yours. They may not realize there is a problem.
  • Contact a professional, such as a professional engineer, Manitoba land surveyor or landscape architect.

If you continue to have runoff from a neighbouring property:

  • contact 311,
    • we will have a lot grading inspector contact you to discuss your concern,
    • we will issue a by-law violation notice for infractions of the Lot Grading By-law,
    • property owners are required to comply with the by-law.

A well-planned drainage system will leave your lot, and your neighbour's, free of standing water.

Last updated: August 23, 2018

Did you know?

Most homes built after 1980 have a lot grade permit or plan that states the permissible elevations and lot grade design.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.