Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Water and Waste Department

Sewer by-law

Frequently asked questions about grease traps

Expand all | Collapse all

A grease trap (or interceptor) is a plumbing device that collects grease and prevents it from going down your drain. This device must be installed by a licensed plumber.

The City of Winnipeg Sewer By-law requires that all commercial, institutional, and food service preparation operations have a grease trap.

A grease trap protects your sewer and saves you money. Fat, oil and grease hardens as it cools and sticks to the inner lining of sewer pipes, eventually causing a blockage. By preventing grease from going down your drain, you won't have to spend money:

  • cleaning and disinfecting after sewer backup,
  • hiring a contractor to clean the buildup from your sewer,
  • repairing or replacing your sewer pipe if the blockage is severe.
  • Grease trap and sink photo and grease trap close up photoWastewater enters the grease trap from your sinks and dishwashers.
  • The water cools and the grease and oil harden and float to the top of the trap.
  • The rest of the wastewater flows through the trap and out the exit pipe to the sewer.
  • The grease, oil and fat remain in the trap.

The both do the same thing – collect grease and prevent it from going through your private sewer service pipe into the City sewer. They differ only in size and location. Grease traps are fitted to the plumbing inside a facility, usually under the sink, and grease interceptors are outside the facility a few feet under the ground and are very large.

A licensed plumber can determine which of these devices is best suited for your facility. They will consider the volume and flow rate of wastewater from your sinks, dishwashers and mop sinks to determine proper sizing.

Blockages will occur if the trap is not cleaned often enough. A grease trap which is not cleaned will eventually clog.

Yes. The ground up solids from food waste grinders (or garburators) settle to the bottom of the trap and take up room. The trap will clog up with grease more quickly and will need to be cleaned more frequently.

Grease traps back up either because they need to be cleaned or because an outlet is blocked. If you buy a large unit you will need to clean it less often because it will hold more grease. But all grease traps will clog if you don't remove grease regularly.

All grease traps will clog if you don't remove grease regularly

Clean under-the-sink grease traps weekly. If grease traps are more than 50% full when cleaned weekly, then clean them more frequently.

Yes. A grease trap not only collects grease, it removes fats and oils, such as:

  • fats from butter, margarine, shortening and mayonnaise,
  • cooking oil,
  • salad oil,
  • grease from cooking or baking.
  • Use dry paper towels or a spatula to wipe all grease and food waste from cookware into the garbage before washing in the sink or dishwasher.
  • Use strainers in your sinks to catch food waste. Empty the strainer into the garbage.
  • Put greasy foods in the garbage, not down the drain or in the food waste grinder.
  • Pour small amounts of cooking oil and grease into a container with a tightly sealed lid (e.g., coffee can, small ice cream pail) and once it hardens, put it out for regular garbage collection. Do not pour it down the drain.

Yes. The maintenance log is a record of how often you clean the trap and how full it is each time. It is required under the Sewer By-law to ensure that maintenance is performed regularly. The by-law also requires that the maintenance records for the previous 12 months be available for inspection.

Yes. Some businesses collect and reuse large amounts of cooking oil.

Yes. Under part 13, section 80, of the Sewer By-law, an owner could pay penalties of:

  • for a first offence, a fine of not less than $1000.00
  • for a second offence, a fine of not less than $2500.00
  • for a third offence, a fine of not less than $5000.00

In addition, the City can take remedial action at the owner's expense. As a result, the owner could be charged the following:

  • the cost of sewer cleaning to clear grease blockages,
  • the cost of correcting problems in neighbouring properties (e.g., sewer backup) as a result of violating the By-law requirement to have a properly functioning grease trap.

You can request a conditional waiver if there is no cooking or cleanup on site. We will review your operation to determine if a waiver is appropriate.

Contact 311

Hauled wastewater program

The City of Winnipeg accepts and treats wastewater from companies who haul wastewater from holding tanks, septic tanks and portable toilets and other wastewater containers. The hauled wastewater facility is located at the North End Sewage Treatment Plant (otherwise known as North End Water Pollution Control Centre or NEWPCC). Three receiving lanes are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for licensed companies to dispose of their hauled wastewater.

Companies who haul wastewater must have a licence with the Water and Waste Department to use the NEWPCC hauled wastewater facility. To apply for a licence, please contact our Industrial Waste Services Branch by email at or phone at 204-986-6455.


The City of Winnipeg has one of the lowest disposal fees for hauled wastewater in Canada, according to a 2019 survey of hauled wastewater fees across Canada.

The fee covers the cost of treating the hauled wastewater as well as the operation and maintenance of the hauled wastewater facility. Hauled wastewater is more difficult and expensive to treat than regular wastewater because it is more concentrated.

Rates are effective January 1 of each year, unless otherwise noted.

Type of Fee Charged to 2022 2023 2024
Hauled wastewater disposal fee
  • wastewater haulers
  • monthly
  • based on 100% of the wastewater hauler's tank capacity
$13.20/kilolitre $13.60/kilolitre $14.20/kilolitre
Overstrength Leachate Rate
  • Leachate generators
  • monthly
  • based on 100% of the wastewater hauler's tank capacity
$29.00/kilolitre $30.00/kilolitre $32.00/kilolitre
Wastewater Disposal Vehicle Licence
  • wastewater haulers
  • yearly
$164.00 $232.00 $303.00
Wastewater Hauler's Licence
  • wastewater haulers
  • yearly
- $128.00 $256.00
Can recreational vehicles use the hauled wastewater facility at NEWPCC?

No. Recreational vehicles can use the RV wastewater disposal station located at the South End Sewage Treatment Plant (otherwise known as the South End Water Pollution Control Center or SEWPCC) on the south Perimeter Highway (100 Ed Spencer Drive).

I have a septic tank. How much will it cost to have it emptied and hauled to the NEWPCC hauled wastewater facility?

Costs for disposal can vary. Please contact a licensed waste hauling company for prices.

Recreational vehicle sewage disposal facilities

Please be advised that the North End Sewage Treatment Plant (NEWPCC) Recreational Vehicle Sewage Disposal facility will be closed as of April 30, 2019 due to construction at the plant. Other parts of the facility remain open.

Alternative recreational vehicle sewage disposal facilities can also be found at

We have one sewage disposal facility for recreational vehicles (RVs) which is open May through October.

South End Sewage Treatment Plant (SEWPCC)
100 Ed Spencer Drive
 - 24 hours
 - Drive-Thru loop
 - No water

There is no charge for recreational vehicles to use the sewage disposal facilities.

Owners of RVs do not need a licence to use the sewage disposal facilities.

Visit for other recreational vehicle sewage disposal facilities in the Winnipeg area (Winnipeg locations are near the bottom of the page)

Map of South End Water Pollution Control Centre

Last update: April 4, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.