Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Frequently Asked Questions about Fluoride

Fluoride protects tooth enamel against the acids that cause tooth decay. We have added fluoride to our water since 1956.

If you have concerns about your water other than fluoride, please refer to the Water Quality FAQs.

Expand all | Collapse all

  • No. There are no licensing or regulatory requirements that mandate us to add fluoride.
  • We have been adding fluoride since 1956 under City Council's authority.
  • We add fluoride according to the direction provided by Manitoba Health.
  • Read more on the Provincial dental health program.
  • Yes. The Province of Manitoba requires that we have a strict monitoring program to ensure the level of fluoride in the water is appropriate.
  • We have received an award of excellence for the fluoride program from Manitoba Health for a number of years.
  • There are no known adverse health effects with adding fluoride at levels less than the National Guideline of 1.5 mg/L, and Winnipeg's dose is 0.7 mg/L, which is the optimal level.
  • In January 2007, Health Canada convened an expert panel on water fluoridation which concluded that "community drinking water fluoridation is still an effective public health method to reduce the prevalence of dental caries in the Canadian population."
  • The approximate cost for the fluoridation program in 2012 was $250,000, or about $0.35 per person.
Last updated: August 7, 2018

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.