Access to information

Under The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), you have the legal right to access City of Winnipeg records.

Make a request

Fill out our request form to access City of Winnipeg records under FIPPA, including police and fire reports.

Submit a FIPPA request form

Contact us if you need a hard copy of a form mailed to you, or print the FIPPA request form.

Requests for another person’s information

Requesting records that involve someone other than you

After you submit your FIPPA request, submit a copy of the other person’s signed consent to allow us to disclose their personal information to you. Without written consent, FIPPA may require us to refuse portions of your request.

Print consent form

Requesting records on another person’s behalf

After you submit your FIPPA request, submit the completed Proof of Authority form. Without written proof of your authority to make the request on another person’s behalf, FIPPA may require us to refuse your request fully or partially. Other written proof of authority will be considered if you are acting under a power of attorney, or if you are the personal representative of a deceased person and the requested information relates to the administration of their estate.

Print proof of authority form

Response times and fees

If you submit your request outside regular office hours, we will receive it at 8:30 a.m. the following business day.

We respond to requests within 45 calendar days of receipt. FIPPA allows extensions of the response time in some circumstances and we will notify you in writing if an extension is needed.

Fees apply to some requests depending on the time and activities needed to respond. If fees apply to your request, we will issue a fee estimate, and you will have 30 calendar days to respond. Fee estimates comply with sections 4-9 of the Access and Privacy Regulation. Copy charges may also apply.

Contact the Access and Privacy Office

Telephone: 204-986-7509
In person: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Monday-Friday)
Closed on weekends and holidays
Mail: Access and Privacy Office, City Clerk's Department, 510 Main St., Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 1B9

Access to released records

As part of its commitment to greater transparency and accountability, the City of Winnipeg publishes records of interest to the public both proactively and in response to requests submitted under The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).

Published responses to FIPPA requests

You can access a list of the FIPPA requests received and responses to completed FIPPA requests since 2016 in the City’s Open Data portal.

  • We never post details of or responses to requests for personal information.
  • We always remove the personal information of applicants from the posted copy of response letters.

Proactive disclosures by department

Elected Officials


Chief Administrative Office

City Clerk's

Community Services

Corporate Finance

Planning, Property & Development

Public Works

Water and Waste

Winnipeg Police Service

Winnipeg Transit


Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.