Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Animal Services
on Social Media

Animal Services Agency

Pet licences

Pet licensing is the primary source of revenue for all the programming that Animal Services provides to help animals and people in our community. Learn more at Helping dogs and cats.

The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law requires that all dogs and cats over the age of six months be licensed.

City of Winnipeg dog and cat licences must be renewed annually (bi-annually for 2 year licences). An invoice is emailed or sent to the address we have on file one month prior to the licence expiring; however, it remains the pet owner's responsibility to ensure their pet has a current licence. Failure to purchase or renew your pet's licence can result in legal proceedings.

Dangerous dog licences are mandatory for all dogs designated as dangerous and all dogs used primarily to guard property.

Intact pet licences are mandatory for intact (not neutered or spayed) dogs or cats.

Purchase or renew a licence

There are four ways to purchase or renew your dog or cat licence: online, phone, in-person or mail.


Purchase or renew a licence

Payment by Visa, Visa Debit, Mastercard, Debit Mastercard or American Express.


Contact 311. Payment by Visa, Visa Debit, Mastercard, Debit Mastercard or American Express.


At the following locations:


Mail your completed application with payment or your renewal invoice with any corrections to:

The City of Winnipeg
Animal Services Agency
1057 Logan Ave.
Winnipeg, MB. R3E 3N8

Payment by cheque only, payable to "The City of Winnipeg."

Pet licence fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.

Cancel a licence

If you have moved out of the city, given the pet away, or your pet is deceased, you can cancel your pet licence online.

Pet licence fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.

Transfer a licence

Pet licences are not transferable between pets, but the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law allows a change of ownership of a pet licence during the licence year. The new owner may have the current licence number transferred to his or her name.

We require both the new and current owner's signatures to process a transfer of ownership. Please complete the transfer of ownership form and either email it to 311 or drop it off at the Animal Services Agency, 1057 Logan Ave..

Pet licence fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.

Change licence information

You can change the name, address, or phone number on your pet licence online.

Lost and/or found licence tags

Lost licence tag

If you have lost your pet's licence tag, replacement tag fees apply.

Found licence tag

If you have found a City of Winnipeg pet licence tag, contact 311.

Intact Pet Licence

Requirements for an intact pet licence:

  1. Active veterinarian care:
    • Current rabies vaccination
  2. History of responsible pet ownership under the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law:
    • Compliance with bylaw requirements and minimal impact on the community.
    • Running at large or pursue - no more than two incidents.
    • Biting animal or human - no more than one incident.
    • No more than one impound at an animal shelter.
    • No history of a person's animals being designated at risk, dangerous, exceptionally dangerous, or needing protection.

If a resident does not meet the above requirements, their pet must be spayed/neutered and a licence for a spayed/neutered pet must be purchased.

If you are planning to breed your intact female cat or dog, you require a Breeding Permit.

Learn more about the benefits of spaying or neutering your pet, and about the low income spay/neuter assistance available.

Unlicensed dogs and cats impounded at animal shelters

Animal shelters are authorized to spay/neuter:

  • impounded unlicensed stray dogs and cats prior to release to an owner.
  • any dog or cat impounded twice in a lifetime, regardless of pet licence status.


View a complete listing of pet licence fees.

Frequently asked questions

View the bylaw

View the Responsible Pet Ownership By‑law for more information.

Animal Services Agency

1057 Logan Ave.
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3N8


Contact 311 to make an appointment.

Licensing your pet

Agence de services aux animaux

1057, avenue Logan
Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3E 3N8


Communiquez avec le 311 pour prendre rendez-vous.

Obtention d'un permis de garde pour votre animal

Privacy statement

The collection of personal information in our licensing program is for the purpose of issuing, renewing and administering the Pet License Program and the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law. Collection is authorized by clauses 36(1) and 44(1)(a) of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). If your pet becomes lost, your personal information may be shared with area animal shelters and veterinary clinics so that you can be notified if your pet is found. Your personal information may be used by the City of Winnipeg to research and plan for programs or services respecting pet ownership. The collection, use and disclosure of this information is protected by FIPPA. If you have any questions about the collection, use or disclosure of this information, contact 311 or call toll free 1-877-311-4974 (4WPG).

Déclaration de confidentialité

La collecte de renseignements personnels dans le cadre de notre programme de permis n’a pour but que la délivrance et le renouvellement des permis, ainsi que la gestion du programme de permis de garde d’animal de compagnie et du Responsible Pet Ownership By-law (règlement municipal sur la possession responsable d’animaux de compagnie). La collecte est autorisée par le paragraphe 36(1) et l’alinéa 44(1)a) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée (LAIPVP). Si votre animal se perdait, vos renseignements personnels pourraient être partagés avec les cliniques vétérinaires et les abris pour animaux de votre quartier de sorte que vous puissiez être informé au cas où votre animal serait retrouvé. Vos renseignements personnels peuvent être utilisés par la Ville de Winnipeg afin de faire des recherches sur les programmes et les services liés à la possession d’animaux de compagnie, et de planifier ceux-ci. La collecte, l’utilisation et la divulgation de ces renseignements sont protégées par la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée. Si vous avez des questions sur la collecte, l’utilisation ou la divulgation de ces renseignements, composez le 311 ou appelez (sans frais) au 1-877-311-4974 (4WPG).

Last update: August 8, 2022

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.