Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Animal Services
on Social Media

Animal Services Agency

Excess Animal Permit

An approved Excess Animal Permit (EAP) allows a resident to legally own or harbour more than the legal limit of pets.

Residents who have an approved EAP must still comply with the other aspects of the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw including minimizing barking, etc.

A person having more than six dogs and cats over the age of six months, or more than four dogs over the age of six months, without holding a valid Excess Animal Permit may face charges under the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law.

How to apply

Application package

The EAP application package can be picked up at Animal Services or printed online. It includes:

  1. Application form
  2. Support form
    • Support should include signatures of neighbours within your immediate area.
    • It is especially helpful if your immediate neighbours (north, south, east and west) have indicated support for your application.
  3. Animal care check form
Download application package

Complete application

Once your application package is fully complete, return to Animal Services and pay non-refundable application fee.

An Animal Services Officer will inspect your home. During an inspection, an Officer checks for:

  • Health of animals - animals appear healthy and are being treated for any health issues
  • Cleanliness of home - animals living in a clean home with little odors that could affect the pets or homeowners
  • Minimal prior complaints regarding an applicant’s pets having an effect on their neighbors
  • Full pet licensing compliance

Animal Services will review your application and the results of the inspection and make a recommendation to your Community Committee. This recommendation will include:

  • Approval or non-approval of an EAP application
  • Amount of animals to be allowed
  • Length of time for permit

Appear before your area's Community Committee

You will be notified by letter once your appearance has been scheduled and advised of:

  • The Community Committee meeting date, time and location.
  • The date that required property posters will be available for pick-up at Animal Services.
  • These posters indicate to your neighbours that you are requesting an EAP.
  • The date that the required property posters must be erected and maintained on the subject property.

As the applicant you will be responsible to attend or authorize some other person to represent you at the Community Committee public hearing. You will be advised of the date, time and location. If you fail to appear or be represented, the application will be considered in your absence.

The decision of Community Committee cannot be appealed.

Frequently asked questions

Open all | Close all

Can I breed dogs or cats from my home?

While breeding is legal, Animal Services highly recommends you spay/neuter your pets to help control the pet overpopulation problem. There is an abundance of dogs and cats available for adoption at shelters and rescues. Breeders require a Breeding Permit.

All unsterilized dogs and cats over the age of 6 months require an Intact Pet Licence.

Can I open a kennel from my home?

If you plan to operate a kennel, you will require permits from the City of Winnipeg, Planning, Property and Development Department - Zoning Division, as well as the necessary provincial permits. Contact the Province of Manitoba at 204-945-7662 for more information.

How do I register a complaint regarding someone having too many animals?

Visit the Report animal concern webpage.

Is a litter of kittens considered over the limit?

No, the restriction on the number of dogs and cats in the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law refers only to animals over the age of six months.

My neighbours have a lot of birds in their house. Is this allowed?

Yes - the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law only regulates the number of cats and dogs someone can have. If you have concerns regarding cruelty or neglect, visit the Province's Animal Care and Handling page.

Last update: July 10, 2023

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.