Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Film and Special Events

Resources for Production

  • Parking on streets with Winnipeg Parking Authority (WPA) paid parking meters, please note WPA parking administrative fees per block face are in effect from Monday thru Saturday. Meter revenue within issued permit will be billed to the Production by Winnipeg Parking Authority within the permitted parking stripped times Monday through Saturday. A quote for parking metered location can be requested in advance when requesting Street Closure permit.
  • Parking is reserved for oversized production vehicles only, not crew/VIP parking. You cannot leave production vehicles parked in permitted area over the weekend, unless prior approval has been obtained through Film Liaison.
  • The City of Winnipeg does not issue permits for drones. The Film Office must be notified of all drone work any City property landing/take off locations in advance.
  • For all drones over 250 grams please arrange with Transport Canada and file all flight plans with NavCan for flight permissions. Please refer to Know Your Drone and plan accordingly. For Registered Films filming under a Control Code, please forward flight plans approved by NavCan to the Film Liaison in advance of flight including last minute itinerary changes.
  • Barricades are required for all roads/regional/block party closures. For barricade rentals you may contact local suppliers ATS Traffic Services, Flatland Rentals, OB1 or Signs & Barricades.

Provincial Property Requests

(such as Bird's Hill Park, The Legislative Building, Law Courts Building)

Jocelyn Mitchell, Provincial Film Liaison, Province of Manitoba
Phone Number: (204) 794-4653

Helpful Links

*Cc: on all correspondence.

Highway Traffic Act - Manitoba

Please note – While best efforts are made to ensure the most up to date information, the Highway Traffic Act supersedes any information contained below.

General information regarding camera vehicles and the HTA:

  • The Manitoba Highway Traffic Act does not apply if the road is closed
  • Most vehicle mounts (hood mount, side hostess tray) break the rules outlined by the HTA
  • Rigging details including a safety plan may be required by the Senior Key Grip for the permit to be approved
  • If the production wishes to use a rig that does not follow the rules of the HTA (minivan with side door open, pickup truck with operator) a police escort or road closure may be required.
  • All requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis (location, time of day, traffic flow, public safety)
  • Last minute requests on open roadways may not be approved. Depending on the complexity on the request - up to a week may be required for WPS, MPI and the Province to review.
  • Vehicle Weights and Dimensions on Classes of Highways Regulation #575/88.

Sections in the regulation that apply to maximum dimensions and projections from vehicles are sections 7, 8, 11, 13.1, and 15. A quick summary of max dimensions (without permit) for passenger vehicles is;

  • Max width – 2.10 meters
  • Max Height – 4.15 meters
  • Max front projection – 1.0 meter
  • Max rear projection – 1.0 meter (unless red flag (day), or red light (night) attached to the end of the projection)
  • Max side projection – Left side - not beyond edge of fender/splash guard
  • Right side – no more than 150 mm beyond edge of fender/splash guard
  • Max length – Single car or truck – 12.5 meters
  • Combination Truck/car and trailer – 21.5 meters

Regarding view obstructions, the HTA sections 57(3), 58, and 182 apply. Here are some excerpts;

  • Clear view for driver required
    57(3) Every vehicle driven upon a highway shall be so constructed and equipped that nothing in the construction or equipment thereof prevents the driver, while seated in the driver's seat thereof, from having a clear and unobstructed forward view through an arc of 180 degrees measured from the line of the back of the driver's seat.
  • Permit for certain obstructions of view
    58 Notwithstanding subsections 182(4) and 57(3), a motor vehicle may be equipped in a manner forbidden by either or both of those provisions if the owner thereof has, upon written application, obtained from the registrar a permit for the purpose, specifying the equipment authorized thereby; but the registrar may issue the permit only if, in his absolute discretion, he is satisfied
    1. that the circumstances in which the equipment for which a permit is applied for is required are of such a special and unusual character that it is not in the public interest to refuse to issue the permit; and
    2. that the owner of the vehicle will use the equipment, or cause it to be used, with due regard to the public safety.
  • Passengers not to block view of driver
    182(2) A passenger in a vehicle shall not occupy a position in it that interferes with the driver's view to the front or sides of the vehicle or with his control over the driving mechanism of the vehicle.

Obstruction of view

182(4) Subject to section 58, no person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway while anything other than a standard rear view mirror or sun visor

  1. obstructs the view from the front windshield; or
  2. obstructs the view from the side windows; or
  3. obstructs the view from the rear windows unless the motor vehicle is equipped on each side thereof with a mirror, securely attached thereto and placed in such a position as to afford the driver, while driving, a clear view of the roadway in the rear and on both sides of the motor vehicle and of any vehicle approaching from the rear.
Last update: January 26, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.