The following documents provide information on building regulations required for legal construction in Winnipeg.

Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information contained in these documents. In the event of a discrepancy between these publications and the governing City of Winnipeg bylaw, the bylaw will take precedence.

Airport vicinity acoustic insulation
Minimum acoustic insulation requirements for buildings within the Airport Vicinity Protection Area

Basement development - lower level development
Construction requirements for the development of basements in residential buildings

Zoning and construction requirements for open, non-sheltered decks for residential buildings

Detached garages & accessory structures
Construction, zoning and electrical requirements for residential detached garages, sheds and other detached accessory structures

House additions
Requirements for house additions and attached garage building projects

New house construction
Requirements for a new house construction building project

Pools & hot tubs/spas
Construction requirements and application and inspections processes for pools, hot tubs/spas and other structures

Electrical installations
Requirements for single-family dwellings, garages, carports or other accessory structures

Construction regulations along city waterways
City of Winnipeg Waterway By-law 5888/92, requirements for construction within the regulated area along waterways, and waterway permit information

Activities near waterways
Planning for projects or maintenance activity near waterways and watercourses

Housing permit inspections
Post-permit issuance responsibilities and information about fees for inspections, time to undertake work, and administration associated with residential building permits

Real estate listing Order to Comply
A guideline for homeowners who have received an Order to Comply about electrical, plumbing and building upgrades that require permits

Rental property and bylaw compliance
Key issues to consider if you plan to rent out your single-family detached dwelling or rooms within it

Attached secondary suites
Zoning and construction guidelines for homeowners establishing attached secondary suites

Detached secondary suites
Zoning and construction guidelines for homeowners establishing detached secondary suites

Student housing, boarders and rooming houses
Zoning and building code issues related to providing housing for students or boarders, as well as rooming houses

Plumbing installations
Plumbing requirements for single-family dwellings

Sump pit installation guidelines
Guidelines and illustrations for the installation of a sump pump and pit for an existing single-family home

Zoning regulations for the placement of fences in residential areas

Airport vicinity acoustic insulation
An overview of City of Winnipeg By-law 6419/94, which establishes minimum acoustic insulation requirements for buildings within the Airport Vicinity Protection Area

Assembly occupant loads
Code requirements for spaces regularly used for a gathering of people

Barrier-free ramps
Code requirements for barrier-free ramps

Free-standing signs
Structural requirements for free-standing signs

Housing conversion
Guidelines for the conversion of a house to commercial use

Special events
Requirements for permit approval of temporary tents, large stages, large bleachers, and other temporary installations

Electromagnetic locks
Electrical and building bylaw requirements for the installation of electromagnetic locks

Emergency lighting and exit signs
Emergency lighting and exit signs in commercial and industrial tenant spaces

Commercial electrical permit applications guide
Requirements for document submissions when applying for a commercial electrical permit

Commercial cooking equipment
Requirements related to ventilation control, fire protection, and owner/user responsibilities

Heating, ventilating and air-conditioning
Requirements for heating, ventilating and air-conditioning in commercial or industrial buildings

Repair and service garages
Bylaw requirements for garages and vehicle service areas

Woodworking shops
Mechanical and electrical requirements for woodworking shops

Application steps for a sidewalk patio
Process, standards and expectations for creating sidewalk patios associated with food and drink establishments


Please contact us.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.