Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Building & renovating

Housing Inspections

Commercial and housing in-person inspections of occupied dwellings are available. Alternate and virtual inspections continue to be offered.

On offre des inspections commerciales et résidentielles en personne des biens occupés. Les inspections complémentaires et virtuelles sont encore offertes.

The Zoning & Permits office, located at 31-30 Fort Street, does not accept walk-in customers and permit applications can be submitted digitally.

Le bureau du zonage et des permis, situé au 30, rue Fort, unité 31, ne prend pas la clientèle qui se présente sur les lieux, et les demandes de permis peuvent être soumises de façon numérique.

The Housing Inspections Branch conducts audit inspections associated with permits issued in the following areas of housing construction: new building construction, additions, renovations/alterations, accessory structures, and changes of use. Please note that all projects that require a permit also require inspections.

Mandatory Audit Inspections

Once a permit has been issued, site inspections need to be conducted by a City of Winnipeg housing inspector to audit the status of the project and assess compliance with applicable codes, standards, and by-laws. Homeowners are responsible for ensuring compliance. You are required to call for an inspection in two instances: upon completion of rough-in work (and prior to covering with drywall, interior finishes or concrete slabs); and at final completion of your construction project.
Learn more about mandatory inspections for various types of permits.

Types of Inspections:

  • Building - from the foundation, structural framework, and interior finishing of housing structures, up to and including the roof
  • Plumbing - from three feet outside the building (basement) foundation wall, all drainage waste/venting and potable water pipes
  • Mechanical - indoor mechanical systems installed in the residence including heating, ventilation, and sump systems
  • Electrical - interior and exterior wiring, and lighting of a residence

Note: Housing inspections does not inspect propane and/or natural gas equipment, piping or utility installations.

Request for Inspection

Housing inspections can be booked by completing the Housing Inspection Request Form (preferred method) or by calling 204-986-5300 between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday to Friday. Please be aware that wait times vary for phone-in requests.

Extension Request

If you are experiencing delays in starting or completing work, complying with a deficiency notification, or facing a demolition permit deadline, a project extension may be requested by completing the Extension Request Form.

Electrical Information Centre
Provides electrical information, including brochures, by-laws, and forms.

Mechanical and Plumbing Information Centre
Provides mechanical and plumbing information, including brochures, by-laws, and forms.

Last update: December 29, 2022