Is a permit required?

Yes, a building permit is required.

A building permit for demolition is required to demolish any building/structure or part of a building/structure as per the Winnipeg Building By-law. A building permit for demolition is not required for detached accessory structures less than 10 m2 (108 sq. ft.).

Note: After applying for a permit, the City may conduct a site inspection before permit issuance to determine if the structure can be safely demolished without engineering. Where there is less than 8’-0” from the foundation to any other structure on adjacent properties, or where there is a potential hazard, the City may require the demolition to be engineered to prevent damage to neighbouring properties.

No, a development permit is not required.

Demolitions do not require development permits, as per the Winnipeg Zoning By-law.

Demolition information

A City of Winnipeg demolition contractor licence is required to apply for a permit to demolish a building/structure or a part of a building/structure. A demolition contractor licence is not required to demolish residential accessory structures, including decks, detached garages, carports, storage sheds, gazebos, workshops, etc.

Examples of demolition:

  • partial demolition where the foundation is being preserved to be re-used with a new build
  • full demolition with no plan to rebuild on the lot in the near future
  • full demolition with plans to rebuild immediately after the structure is demolished

The demolition must start within 30 days of permit issuance and be completed within 60 days.

It is the permit applicant’s responsibility to:

  • contact Manitoba Hydro to arrange disconnection of electricity and natural gas to the structure and removal of meters
    • permits will not be issued until the utility has notified us that the meters have been removed
  • contact the Water and Waste Department to shut off the water and remove the water meter
  • contact telephone and cable providers to arrange disconnection of services
  • arrange to plug the sewer line with a concrete plug if it is being abandoned
  • arrange for all mandatory inspections:
    • Pre-backfill - when all demolition debris, including all foundation materials (if applicable) have been removed from the site and before any fill is placed in the excavation or any reconstruction has commenced
    • Pre-backfill inground pool - when the bottom of the pool has been broken and the side walls have been collapsed inward to allow for placement of a minimum of 24 in. of clean fill to cover the remains
    • Final - when the site is in a safe, level, well graded condition after demolition has been completed

Safety fencing is required at all times during the demolition and must be compliant with the Manitoba Building Code (6’-0” high and not climbable).

Application requirements

To apply for a demolition/removal building permit, refer to the permit application for required documentation.

To obtain a demolition permit for a structure that contains one or more dwelling units (e.g. single/two family dwellings, etc.), a new construction building permit application must be submitted to the City per requirements in the Development Procedures By-law 104/2020. If you have an approved demolition variance or an order to demolish a residential structure due to unsafe conditions, a new construction building permit application is not required.

Related links

How to apply

Ensure you have all required documentation before applying.


Please contact us.

Click before you dig
If your foundation is going to require digging below grade, visit or call 1-800-940-3447.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.