Electrical installations

Is a permit required?

Yes, an electrical permit is required.

The construction, alteration, repair or extension of electrical installations requires an electrical permit as per the Winnipeg Electrical By-law.

An electrical permit is not required to replace a light fixture, switch or receptacle in an owner-occupied, single detached dwelling if:

  • installed in the same location as existing equipment
  • no modifications to the existing copper wiring are needed

Construction information

Application requirements

To apply for an electrical permit, refer to the permit application for required documentation. If electrical work will be completed by the homeowner, the electrical permit declaration is also required.

An electrical permit can only be issued to a licensed electrical contractor or to the homeowner if they live in a single detached dwelling that is their primary residence, and do the work themselves. A homeowner may not apply for the following installations:

  • renewable energy systems (e.g. solar photovoltaic systems)
  • work over 200 amps
  • electric vehicle chargers
  • generators and transfer switches
  • indoor plant growth facilities

How to apply

Ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.


Contact us.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.