The Zoning & Permits office does not accept walk-in customers and permit applications can be submitted digitally. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
Le bureau du zonage et des permis ne prend pas la clientèle qui se présente sur les lieux, et les demandes de permis peuvent être soumises de façon numérique. Pour toute question, appelez la ligne directe des permis au 204-986-5140.
Is a permit required?
Yes, an electrical permit is required.
The construction, alteration, repair or extension of electrical installations requires an electrical permit as per the Winnipeg Electrical By-law.
To apply for an electrical permit, provide the following documentation.
- Housing electrical permit application form
- Homeowner electrical permit declaration form (required if electrical work will be completed by the homeowner)
- Electrical drawings – required for renewable energy systems (e.g. solar photovoltaic systems) and work over 200 amps
Note: For solar photovoltaic systems 10 kW and greater, electrical drawings must be submitted under the seal of an engineer.
An electrical permit can only be issued to a licensed electrical contractor or to the homeowner who lives at the property as their primary residence and plans to do the work themselves. A homeowner may not apply for the following installations:
- renewal energy systems (e.g. solar photovoltaic systems)
- work over 200 amps
- electric vehicle chargers
- transfer switches
How to apply
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
Please contact us.