The Zoning & Permits office does not accept walk-in customers and permit applications can be submitted digitally. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
Le bureau du zonage et des permis ne prend pas la clientèle qui se présente sur les lieux, et les demandes de permis peuvent être soumises de façon numérique. Pour toute question, appelez la ligne directe des permis au 204-986-5140.
Is a permit required?
Yes, a development permit is required.
If you plan to add a secondary suite, or change window/door openings in exterior walls, a development permit may be required as per the Winnipeg Zoning By-law. Zoning and development permit approval must be obtained prior to building permit application.
Yes, a building permit is required.
Home renovation projects (not like for like upgrades), including: kitchens, bathrooms, adding/converting rooms to bedrooms, creating open concept living spaces, and new/larger openings (exterior doors or windows) may need a building permit as per the Winnipeg Building By-law.
Review the development and building permit process to help navigate application requirements.
- ensure you have obtained prerequisite zoning and development permit approval, where required for your project
To apply for a building permit, provide the following documentation. Refer to the permit application for detailed information that must be included in each document.
- Alterations – single/two family dwelling building permit application form
- Owner statement (not required if owner is the applicant)
- Declaration form (if you have a prerequisite development permit)
- Site plan
- Building plans (floor plans, elevations, structural drawings)
- Professional designer's certificate for housing (if plans are sealed by an engineer)
How to apply
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
Please contact us.