Plessis Road Underpass Project
This project is now complete.
Four lanes at the Plessis Underpass now open to vehicular traffic
Four lanes at the Plessis Underpass opened to traffic September 30, 2016. Traffic at this location was restricted by trains, resulting in traffic congestion. The underpass separates trains from motor vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians, making the area safer and more efficient for all modes of transportation.
The City thanks citizens for their patience while work on this construction project was completed.
In 2012, federal, provincial and municipal officials announced that the Plessis Road Underpass was approved for joint funding by the three levels of government, with a budget of $77 million.
The Project included an underpass of the CN Rail line. The underpass is located north of the Plessis Road and Dugald Road intersection.
Other components of the project included:
- Land drainage system improvements.
- Active Transportation facilities.
- Roadway improvements on Plessis Road, upgrading from two lanes to four lanes divided, between Dugald Road and Pandora Avenue.
- Relocation of utilities, including watermains, sewers, fibre optic cables, gas mains, distribution poles, street lights and electrical lines.
- Relocation of oil pipelines.
The City, along with our engineering service providers and contractors made every effort to identify and implement efficiencies to complete the Plessis Underpass Project as soon as possible. Due to unexpected delays in constructing a rail detour (shoofly) and relocating oil pipelines, the project was behind schedule and the following extensions were approved by our funding partners:
- Two lanes of the Project on Plessis Road between Dugald Road and Kernaghan Avenue will open to traffic by October 31, 2015, as opposed to July 31, 2015;
- Four lanes of the Project on Plessis Road between Dugald Road and Kernaghan Avenue will open to traffic by September 30, 2016, as opposed to September 30, 2015; and
- The Project completion date will be no later than March 31, 2017, as opposed to March 31, 2016.
Project update- October 29, 2015
Two lanes of the new Plessis Underpass on Plessis Road between Dugald Road and Kernaghan Avenue opened to traffic Saturday, October 31, 2015.
Public Open House:
The City of Winnipeg held an Open House February 28, 2013 to review the preliminary design of the underpass and to answer questions about the project. These were the visual displays presented:
Public Open House No. 2
The second Plessis Road Underpass Open House was held on June 19, 2013 and provided the latest construction information and updated design information, and summarized some comments heard from the first Open House.
Read Frequently Asked Questions and responses for the Plessis Underpass project. Information is also available in the Open House Information Boards.
For inquiries, please contact
Phone, email, fax: 311