Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Insect Control

Tree Banding

What is tree banding?

Tree Bank

Tree banding keeps the wingless adult female fall and spring cankerworms from laying their eggs in the crown of the tree. The bands are made from insulation and plastic and are covered in a sticky substance called Tree Tanglefoot. The adult cankerworm must climb the tree to lay eggs. They get stuck in the Tanglefoot when they cross the band.

Make sure to keep your band clean and free of debris as adult female cankerworms will crawl over the band if enough debris is present.

Why tree band?

If you band your trees before the adult, wingless female cankerworm moths lay their eggs, you will keep the larval cankerworms from eating your trees the following spring.

When should I band my tree?

To control the spring cankerworm, you must have your bands on the trees by March 15 and/or reapply on existing bands originally setup in September to control the fall cankerworm.

To control the fall cankerworm, you must have your bands on the trees by the end of September or before the first hard frost making sure to keep bands on over the winter months and then reapplying in the spring to control the spring cankerworm.

Can I leave the tree bands up all year long?

You must remove bands by early June. Otherwise the bark can rot when the insulation gets wet. Bands should again be put up in September and can remain all winter.

How do I tree band?

To band your tree using foil-faced insulation:

  1. Cut a 15 centimetre wide band of foil-faced insulation long enough to wrap around the tree trunk.
  2. Place the insulation side on the bark so that the foil is on the outside.
  3. About 1.5 metres from the ground, tightly staple the band to the tree trunk. Make sure you fill in the bark's cracks and crevices.
  4. Spread a layer of Tree Tanglefoot on the band.
  5. Encourage you neighbours to band together to keep your neighbourhood green.

To help control cankerworms now is the time to make sure your bands are up. See the above link or visit our cankerworm page to learn more about their biology.

Last update: June 28, 2021
Contact Us
or 1-877-311-4WPG
Media inquiries: 204-986-6000

Administrative Office and Research Laboratory
1539 Waverley Street
Winnipeg MB R3T 4V7

Operations Base
3 Grey Street
Winnipeg MB R2L 1V2
Citizens' Information Service
Search by address
to find out your insect management area.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.