Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Insect Control



How do ants live?

Ants are social insects living in colonies. Usually a colony has three distinct castes: queens, workers and males. Each caste looks different and has a different job.

What does the queen do?

The queen lays eggs. Depending upon the species, a colony may have only one queen or they may have several. The colony protects the queen and she never leaves the nest.

What do workers do?

The larger major workers look for food and guard the nest. The smaller minor workers expand the nest and tend the eggs and larvae.

How are new colonies made?

A few times during the year, the queen produces winged males and females that leave the colony to start a new nest.

Identification of Ants

Identification of the right species of ant is very important for the type and duration of control. Make sure to have ants properly identified by an entomologist.

What are Pharaoh ants?

Pharaoh ants are very tiny, about one millimeter long. They are yellowish orange. pharaoh ants are often found in dwellings, bakeries and restaurants. Colonies nest in piles of clothes, between floorboards and in cracks and crevices. Colonies have several queens.

Carpenter AntCarpenter Ant

What are Carpenter ants?

Carpenter ants are large, measuring approximately 13 millimeters long. They are black or black and brown. Carpenter ants nest in moist wood. Carpenter ants in a building are often a sign of a moisture problem. In natural areas, the ants nest in logs, stumps or dead or dying trees. In constructed areas, they nest in wooden posts, beams, walls and joists. They tunnel through the rotting wood leaving honeycombed galleries. Carpenter ants do not eat wood.

What are odorous house ants?

Odorous house ants are small ants measuring approximately 2.5 millimeters long. They nest outdoors. The ants construct their nest out of mounds of dirt. The worker ants search far for food. They often enter buildings. Once they have found food, they leave a scent trail for other ants. They feed on a variety of organic material.

How do I control ants in my home?

If you find ants in your house, it means that the ants have found a food source. Find the area where the ants are getting inside and seal it. Often ants find cracks and enter the house near the foundation, vents, windows and utility pipes. Keep food in plastic containers and vacuum frequently to pick up crumbs.

You can try to keep ants from entering your home by placing repellents along house entry points. Use egg shells, red pepper, calcium dust, bone meal, diatomaceous earth or powdered charcoal to repel ants.

How do I control ants in my lawn?

You can used a pesticide registered for the control of ants. Please make sure it is used according to label directions.

How do I get rid of carpenter ants in my home?

Call a pest control professional to control ants. However, the ants are often a sign of unsound wood. You may have some structural damage. You can reduce the likelihood of a carpenter ant infestation by removing old tree stumps, firewood and old, rotting wood by buildings.

Last update: March 15, 2021
Contact Us
or 1-877-311-4WPG
Media inquiries: 204-986-6000

Administrative Office and Research Laboratory
1539 Waverley Street
Winnipeg MB R3T 4V7

Operations Base
3 Grey Street
Winnipeg MB R2L 1V2
Citizens' Information Service
Search by address
to find out your insect management area.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.