Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Insect Control

Buffer zone registration

Residents can register with the City of Winnipeg Insect Control if they want to exempt their primary residence during a Residential Adult Nuisance Mosquito Fogging Program and/or Tree Pest Caterpillar Control Program.

By registering for a buffer zone, residents will have a predetermined distance around or adjacent to their primary residence, excluded from the City's control programs.

Residential Adult Nuisance Mosquito Fogging Program buffer zone

A 90 m buffer zone adjacent to the applicant's primary residence.

Tree Pest Caterpillar Control Program buffer zone

A 30 m buffer zone adjacent to the applicant's primary residence.

Adjacent is defined as primary residence abutting or having a common border.

Register for a buffer zone around your primary residence

Apply for a buffer zone


Mail: 3 Grey St., Winnipeg MB R2L 1V2

Phone or fax: 311

A 72-hour turnaround time is required for processing, so residents are encouraged to begin registering for the current season as soon as possible.

Residents are reminded that they must renew their buffer zone registration at the beginning of every season.

The Insect Control Branch will send a letter confirming your registration as a buffer zone registrant.

Provide the following when registering:

  • Name
  • Date
  • Address of your principal residence
  • Telephone number
  • Specify the Insect Control Program you are registering a buffer zone for (ie. Residential Adult Nuisance Mosquito Fogging Program or Tree Pest Caterpillar Control Program).
  • Proof of occupancy is required to register

Proof of occupancy - acceptable identification

Residents must provide identification that ties the registrant to the address being registered for a buffer zone.

A current, original, photocopy or scanned identification from list below required at registration:

  • Driver's license
  • Manitoba Health Services Card with current address
  • Manitoba Enhanced Identification Card
  • Utility bill (hydro, gas, water, phone, cable)
  • Property tax bill
  • Assessment notice
  • Government cheque
  • Rental/lease agreement
  • Legal document with address

Notice of collection

The collection of personal information is done in confidence for the purpose of administering buffer zone applications and is authorized by clause 36(1)(b) of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). The collection, use and disclosure of this information is protected by FIPPA and will not be used for any other purpose. If you have any questions about the collection, use or disclosure of this information, contact 311 or call toll free 1-877-311-4974 (4WPG).

Last update: May 3, 2023
Contact Us
or 1-877-311-4WPG
Media inquiries: 204-986-6000

Administrative Office and Research Laboratory
1539 Waverley Street
Winnipeg MB R3T 4V7

Operations Base
3 Grey Street
Winnipeg MB R2L 1V2
Citizens' Information Service
Search by address
to find out your insect management area.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.