Request a new off-leash dog area

We know Winnipeggers are passionate about their pets and want to provide them with wide open spaces to run and play.

In response to feedback from our animal-loving communities, we have developed a new Off-Leash Area Implementation Procedure that will help guide requests for, selection of, and implementation for new off-leash areas.

The procedure is based on a five-step process that includes:

  1. Request submission - submit your request for a new off-leash area or alteration to an existing off-leash area to the City of Winnipeg Parks and Open Space Division via an application form.
    The application form must include:
    • A description of the proposed location along with a proposed site plan (this can be as simple as drawing boundaries on a map)
    • Type of area requested
    • A brief description of the site (including current and future users and rationale for your request)
    • Demonstrated need and support for the area, including a petition with signatures from adjacent land owners and users

    The application can also include documentation of any in-kind support for one-time capital costs or ongoing maintenance the applicant has already secured. (Letter of Support)

  2. Screening - Parks and Open Space will review your application and screen it against an implementation screening question form.

  3. Interdepartmental review - a variety of City departments will review applications that pass the initial screening and provide you with revisions and/or recommendations, if required.

  4. Funding and public confirmation - the City may engage in public consultation on the proposed off-leash area, determine funding sources and availability and move a report with recommendations through the City's committee and council system.

  5. Implementation

The entire process is much more in-depth than the above summary and can take anywhere from 10 weeks to one year depending on the scale of project, type of area proposed and nature of land designation and funding requirements. Requests can be denied at any stage of the process.

One exception to this process is the designation of community centre outdoor rinks as temporary off-leash areas through the non-winter months. Community members or community centre boards can request this designation through a separate process.

To learn more about the process or to request an off-leash area, please download one of the following resources:

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.