Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

National Day for Truth and Reconciliation – Saturday, September 30. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services from September 30 to October 2.

National Day for Truth and Reconciliation – Saturday, September 30. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services from September 30 to October 2.

Citizens Information Service
Public Works

Contractor information

Amendments to Streets By-Law No. 1481/77
key changes pertaining to regional street cut restoration

In May of 2010, City Council passed a number of amendments to the Streets By-Law No. 1481/77. The changes include the following:

All hard surface cuts (pavement, curb and/or sidewalk) on Regional Streets made between and including May 1 and October 31 (based on the date the permit was issued), shall be restored by the applicant or their agent upon completion of backfill. A cut permit must be taken out at least forty-eight (48) hours prior to work being done. For Emergency work, a permit is to be obtained within 24 hours after work is completed.

Street Cuts Manual has been developed to aid the contractor in fulfilling their duties as required. Some of the key points of the manual are:

  • All regional street hard surfaced cuts are to be backfilled with stabilized fill to the underside of the existing pavement (refer to Street Cuts Manual);
  • The contractor is responsible for the maintenance of their temporary restored cuts until cut has been permanently restored and has passed warranty period;
  • Twenty-four (24) hour concrete is to be used on all pavement restorations on regional streets;
  • All permanent restorations have one year of warranty starting from the date of final inspection upon restoration;
  • The contractor completing the restoration must have a valid "Regional Restoration Contractor's License;"
  • Boulevard cuts shall be restored by the City or City agents.

In implementing these changes, the City hopes to:

  • create a safer environment for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists;
  • speed up the restoration of regional cuts;
  • reduce the permit applicant's overall costs for restoration;
  • reduce complaints and claims related to the sinking of temporary patches, and;
  • reduce lane closures and traffic disruption.

Important links:

Should you require additional information, please refer to Contacts in Street Cuts Manual.

Permits - Contractors Only

Approach Construction Permit:

  • For all commercial/industrial private approaches/walks and residential/farm private approach/walks on regional streets, contact:
    Private Approach Technician at 204-986-5239

  • For residential/farm private approaches on non-regional streets, contact:
    Plan Approval/Permit Technologist at 204-986-4113

Excavation Cut Permit:

At any time an excavation in or under a street, sidewalk or boulevard is done a permit is required. If work occurs on a regional roadway, applicant will also require a Use of Street permit. For more detailed information and fees, please call 204-986-3184.

Sewer and Water Inspection Permit:

No connection, repair, alteration or reconnection shall be made to the underground portion of a sewer connection or drain either on the City street or on private property without first obtaining a permit from the City. The applicant shall pay the cost of installation of the water service connection from the street watermain to the property line.The service may be installed only by the employees of the Water and Waste Department or by a person licensed by the City (licensed sewer and water contractors) to perform that type of work. The permit application shall be supplemented by any plans, specifications, or other information considered pertinent. If work occurs on a regional roadway, applicant will also require a "Use of Street" permit. For more information, please call 204-986-6006.

Last update: April 15, 2021

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.