Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Building permit requirements

The Water and Waste Department's role in the building permit approval process is to ensure that the individual making an application constructs his/her buildings and facilities (or demolishes them, as the case may be) to required City of Winnipeg by-laws and specifications as they pertain to municipal services and lot grading.

To avoid unnecessary delays in the permit approval process, applicants are strongly advised to familiarize themselves with the pertinent City of Winnipeg by-laws.

In large project developments, it is advisable that preliminary contact be made with the Water and Waste Department prior to submitting plans for approval. This preliminary contact can be used to confirm the existing services and to flag any unique circumstances that may apply to the project. A small amount of time invested in the preliminary stages of a project may save a large amount of time in the final plan approval process. It is also highly recommended that the applicant use the services of a professional civil engineer competent in municipal design works for the preparation of site grading plans and municipal site servicing plans.

Once the plans are ready for formal submission, the applicant takes them to the Permit Application Centre at 31-30 Fort Street. They will then courier the plans to the respective departments if approvals are required. It is important for the applicant to realize that numerous departments may be involved in any particular approval and that it is their responsibility to be familiar with the requirements of each. When the plans have been approved, they can be picked up and paid for at the Permit Application Centre.

Specifications and other requirements:

  1. Standard construction specifications

  2. Approved products for underground use within the City of Winnipeg Icon indicating a pdf file which will open up a new browser window. (pdf - 5.6MB)

  3. Manual for the production of construction drawings Icon indicating a pdf file which will open up a new browser window. (pdf - 2.5MB)

  4. Drainage criteria manual Icon indicating a pdf file which will open up a new browser window. (pdf - 1,628kb)

  5. Canadian AWWA Cross Connection Control Manual
    by Cross Connection Control Committee

    Available online or at:
    Red River College Bookstore
    2055 Notre Dame Avenue
    Winnipeg, Manitoba   R3H 0J9
    Phone: 204-632-2351

Some charges from the Water and Waste Department that may apply to your building project (non-single-family dwelling) are:

Rates effective January 1, unless otherwise noted

  • Service application fee (building permit applications)

  • Service application fee (all other applications)

  • Application for new water service connection or reuse of existing water connection fee

  • Application for new sewer service connection or reuse of existing sewer connection fee

  • Multiple metering fee

  • Lot grade permit fee

  • Lot grade deposit

  • Abandonment of water service connection deposit

  • Abandonment of sewer service connection deposit


  • Additional permit fees may be required by your licensed sewer and water contractor at the time of doing the work.
  • Deposits are refundable - once applicable by-law conditions are met.

Other relevant documents:

Last updated: April 11, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.