Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Hydraulically operated elevator requirements

Preventing the discharge of oil into the City's sewer system

Operators and owners of properties must ensure that appropriate measures are taken to prevent the discharge of oil into the City's sewer system. Depending on the configuration of the elevator sump pit drain, a failure of an elevator's hydraulic system can result in a discharge of oil to the sewer system, which violates the restrictions set out in Sections 45(2) and 45(2) of the Sewer By-law.

New requirements for building permit applications

City of Winnipeg building permit applications that include a hydraulically operated passenger elevator must detail the measures that will be in place to prevent the discharge of oil to the sewer system.

Note: Existing structures are not required to retroactively modify their elevator sump pit configurations.

Proper disposal of oil in a containment device

Any oil collected in a containment device or pit must be disposed of through a hazardous waste disposal company appropriately licensed with the Province of Manitoba.

Containing discharged oil

There are several ways to contain discharged oil from an elevator's hydraulic system, such as an oil interceptor or an oil containment pit.

A general oil containment pit schematic is below. Due to site specific building constraints, this schematic may not be applicable in all circumstances.

Download PDF version Adobe Acrobat icon indicating a pdf file that will open up in a new browser window. Close the new window to return to this page.

If you have any questions about the requirements, please contact 311.

Last updated: September 5, 2019

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.