On January 1, 2024, the new Manitoba Building, Plumbing, Energy and Fire Codes will be in effect. See the 2024 construction codes implementation bulletin to learn about how the new codes will apply to your project.
Le 1er janvier 2024, les nouveaux codes du bâtiment, de la plomberie, de l’énergie et de la prévention des incendies du Manitoba entreront en vigueur. Consultez le bulletin sur la mise en œuvre des codes de construction de 2024 pour savoir comment les nouveaux codes s’appliqueront à votre projet.
Is a permit required?
Yes, a development permit is required.
If you are adding a secondary suite, or changing window/door openings in the exterior walls, a development permit may be required as per the Winnipeg Zoning By-law. Zoning and development permit approval must be obtained prior to building permit application.
Yes, a building permit is required.
Basement development, such as adding rooms, bedrooms, and creating living spaces requires a building permit as per the Winnipeg Building By-law. Cosmetic changes, such as painting, flooring, millwork, etc., do not require a building permit.
Review the development and building permit process to help navigate application requirements.
- ensure you have obtained prerequisite zoning and development permit approval, where required for your project
To apply for a building permit, provide the following documentation. Refer to the permit application for detailed information that must be included in each document.
- Basement/lower level developments: Basement/lower level development building permit application form
- Any other structural alterations: Alterations – single/two family dwelling building permit application form
- Owner statement (not required if owner is the applicant)
- Declaration form (if you have a prerequisite development permit)
- Site plan
- Building plans (floor plans, elevations, structural drawings)
For projects that include major structural work:
- engineered structural drawings
- Professional designer's certificate for housing
For dwellings with more than five bedrooms:
- Residential ventilation record or engineered mechanical drawings
Note: All dwellings must meet heating season ventilation requirements as per the Manitoba Building Code.
How to apply
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
Please contact us.