Foundation repairs

Is a permit required?

Yes, a development permit is required.

A development permit is required as per the Winnipeg Zoning By-law if the repair is not like for like and the footprint of the structure is changing. Zoning and development permit approval must be obtained before building permit application.

Yes, a building permit is required.

A building permit is required as per the Winnipeg Building By-law if the project involves the placement or replacement of any structural component(s) installed to repair or stabilize a deteriorating foundation including, but not limited to:

  • replacement of wood columns with steel teleposts
  • structural braces attached to foundation walls to repair deteriorated components such as beam ends
  • installation of vertical structural bracing to shore up lateral cracks

All structural foundation repairs must be sealed by a structural engineer.

A building permit is not required when the repairs are limited to excavation and application of damp proofing/waterproofing coatings or membranes and/or the replacement of exterior, perimeter weeping tile systems.

Application requirements

Review the development and building permit process to help navigate application requirements. 

Before applying for a building permit:

To apply for a building permit, refer to the permit application for required documentation.

Related permits

How to apply

Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.


Please contact us.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.