Detached garages & accessory structures

Is a permit required?

Yes, a development permit may be required for accessory structures.

Enclosed accessory structures greater than 10 m2 (108 sq. ft.) require a development permit as per the Winnipeg Zoning By-law. Open sided accessory structures, such as a pergola or gazebo and less than 14 m2 (150 sq. ft.), do not require a development permit. Detached accessory structures support the use of a single family or two-family dwelling on the same property. Examples:

  • carports
  • storage sheds
  • gazebos
  • workshops

Zoning and development permit approval must be obtained before building permit application.

Detached garages accessory to a single family or two-family dwelling do not require a development permit. But they must comply with the Winnipeg Zoning By-law regulations for property line setbacks, maximum height, lot coverage and separation distance to a dwelling.

Site audits for compliance with zoning bylaws will happen during the construction season.

Yes, a building permit is required.

Detached garages and other accessory structures greater than 10 m2 (108 sq. ft.) require a building permit as per the Winnipeg Building By-law.

Transcript for detached garages and accessory structures

Construction information

Application requirements

Review the development and building permit process to help navigate application requirements. 

Before applying for a building permit:

  • ensure you have obtained prerequisite zoning and development permit approval, if required
    Note: New detached garages and accessory structures in new greenfield subdivisions with prior development agreements on title do not require prerequisite development permit approval if submitted at the same time as the new home application. In this case, your development permit will be processed as part of your combined development/building permit application.

To apply for a building permit, refer to the permit application for required documentation.

Related permits

How to apply

Ensure you have all required documentation before applying.


Please contact us.

Click before you dig
If your foundation is going to require digging below grade, visit or call 1-800-940-3447.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.