Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Community Services

Animals and Insects

Property owners are expected to maintain their property or residence so that insects or rodents do not become a nuisance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

Who is responsible for pest control for a property?
  • The property owner, landlord, property manager or occupant may be responsible depending on the circumstances.
  • If you want to register a complaint regarding an insect or pest problem, contact the City at 311.
I saw a rat or mouse coming out of the neighbour's yard, what can be done?
  • Contact the City at 311 to register a complaint.
My neighbour seems to be keeping pigeons.  Is that allowed?
  • Keeping Pigeons is allowed under the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law.
  • The By-law outlines specific requirements dealing with the keeping of pigeons that must be met in order to obtain the required health permit. As well, new construction of pigeon lofts or aviaries must first obtain zoning approval prior to construction.
  • Contact the City at 311 to register a complaint.
What can be done about the insect problem I have in my suite (cockroaches, bedbugs, wasps, flies)?
  • If you have problems related to your rental residence first contact your rental manager, owner, or caretaker to advise them of the problem. If the problem is not resolved you can register a complaint with the City of Winnipeg Licensing & Bylaw Enforcement at 311.
Do I have to allow my landlord into my suite to exterminate bugs?
  • To effectively control insect problems in a building, the exterminator's recommendations should be followed to ensure proper treatment.
My child has lice, how do I treat it?
  • Contact the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority's Health Links at 204-788-8200 for treatment information.

Related Links

  • For further information about dogs and other animals, see Animal Services
  • For further information about insects, including mosquitoes, see Insect Control
Last update: January 5, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.