Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Community Services

Fire Burning

What are the regulations regarding open air fires?

The City of Winnipeg has established revised standards and requirements for all open air fires regulated under the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law 1/2008

These standards include specific by-law requirements for residential open air fires in various permanently constructed or portable receptacles such as fire pits, fire bowls, chimineas and other outdoor receptacles.

Frequently asked questions

Can I burn garbage, construction material or leaves?
No, only burn clean, dry, unpainted and untreated wood and no grass, leaves, brush or tree prunings.
Where can I place a fire pit on my property?
A fire pit must be at least 3 metres (10 feet) from any combustible buildings, structures, fences, trees, or overhead wires, etc.
What are the necessary safety precautions when having an open air fire?
Fires must be attended to at all times and an adequate supply of water, sand or other extinguishing material must be on hand. For a complete list please refer to the Fire Pits, Fire Bowls, Chimineas and Other Outdoor Receptacles brochure.
How do I report an open air fire concern?
  • Contact the City at 311 to register a complaint.
  • Contact the City of Winnipeg at 311 for more information or to register a complaint.

Download the following brochures for more specific information:

Last update: January 5, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.