Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Community Services


The sale of spray paints and other materials commonly used to do graffiti is restricted by the Graffiti Control By-law

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

As a retailer, what am I required to do?
  • Post the required sign notifying the public about the Graffiti Control By-Law near where spray paint is sold.
  • Restrict sale of spray paint to persons 18 years of age and older.
  • Store spray paint and related materials in a secure storage space that is locked or otherwise inaccessible to the public.
Where can retailers get the sign that needs to be posted near where spray paint is sold?
Are retailers required to check ID when selling spray paint?
  • Yes, retailers must ensure they are not selling spray paint to minors.
What are the requirements for a secure storage space for spray paint?
  • Requirements will vary from store to store. The City has provided picture examples showing a number of suitable secure storage spaces. Retailers may develop alternate storage spaces that are locked or otherwise effectively restrict public access to these areas.
How will retailers know if their lockup is acceptable?
  • If an individual can access spray paint without assistance from a retailer or clerk, the storage space would not be considered secure.
How do I report a concern or problem concerning graffiti?
  • To register a complaint, contact the Graffiti Control Hotline at 311
Last update: January 5, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.