Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Community Services


Part 5 (Noise Control) of the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law 1/2008 will regulate noise nuisance activities.

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

Who do I call about a loud party or music at a house or people related noise?
  • Contact the Winnipeg Police Service at 204-986-6222
My neighbour’s air conditioner or furnace is really loud. Can anything be done about that?
  • Contact Licensing & Bylaw Enforcement at 311 to register a complaint.
What are the noise levels for air conditioners or air moving units?
  • Air conditioners, fans or air moving equipment cannot produce a noise level above 55 dBA between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.; and 50 dBA between 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. (measured from point of reception).
How do I get a Noise Permit?
  • You can apply for a Noise Permit through the Winnipeg Police Service.
What noises are exempt?
  • emergency sirens and signals used during an emergency by an ambulance, fire vehicle or police vehicle
  • sound produced in the course of constructing, maintaining, rehabilitating or otherwise working on a street or property owned by the City of Winnipeg
  • military bands or parades or other parades operating under a permit issued under the Traffic By-law or a successor by-law
  • activities normally associated with:
    • places of religious worship, religious retreat and religious instruction that qualify for a partial exemption from real property taxation under clause 22 (1)(i) of The Municipal Assessment Act
    • (ii) public schools, as that term is used in The Public Schools Act, and private schools, as that term is used in The Education Administration Act; including worship services, children’s play and school-sponsored activities on school yards, and the ringing of church or school bells.
  • sound producing devices used during the month of December for the rendering of Christmas carols
  • aircraft and railway rolling stock
  • an activity, work or undertaking performed by or through the City in respect of public services, facilities or installations
  • an activity for which a permit has been issued by the designated employee
What noises are prohibited under the Neighbourhood Liveabilty By-law?
  • The Liveability By-Law requires that a person must not make or continue, or cause to be made or continued, or own or harbour an animal that makes an unreasonably loud, unnecessary or excessive noise or sound.
  • Certain activities that cause excessive noise within 150 meters of a residential property are restricted before 7:00 am. and after 9:00pm. Monday to Friday and 9:00am. and after 9:00pm. Saturday, Sunday and statutory holidays.

    Excessive noise activities may include:

    • Power Saw
    • Power Garden Tools
    • Sanders
    • Grinders
    • Heavy construction equipment or tools
    • Testing of motor vehicles
    • Powered model vehicles
    • Snow Blower
    • Lawn Mower
  • For complaints related to these types of noise issues please contact the City of Winnipeg at 311.
What can I do if my neighbours dog is barking?
Last update: January 5, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.