Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Planning, Property & Development

Commercial inspections

Commercial inspections provides building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical/sprinkler, and sign inspection services.

Commercial Building Inspections

Inspections of commercial buildings, structures and equipment

Commercial Electrical Inspections
Inspections of wiring, electrical equipment, fixtures, and associated systems related to electrical power sources
Commercial Plumbing / Mechanical Inspections
Inspections of plumbing, HVAC distribution, and sprinkler systems
Commercial Sign Inspections
Inspections of all permanent commercial signs for structural, electrical and placement compliance

Mandatory audit inspections

Once a permit is issued, site inspections need to be conducted by a City of Winnipeg inspector to audit the status of the project and assess compliance with applicable codes, standards, and bylaws. Progress inspections may be required at each mandatory inspection stage based on the size of the project.

Progress inspections are mandatory and inspections must be completed to the final stage to support the proposed occupancy request.

As per Section 5 of The Winnipeg Building By-law, the building owner must ensure every part of the building is in compliance with the codes that were in effect at the time of construction, alteration or renovation. This requirement applies whether or not the owner owned the building at the time it was constructed, altered or renovated.

Professional certifications

Professional certifications must be submitted once construction is complete and before requesting occupancy if design professionals are involved in the project. Certifications are required when stand-alone structural, architectural, electrical, and/or mechanical alterations are taking place. In some cases, professional certifications may be required when occupancy is not a part of the project.

Wording for Professional Certification Letters Final Occupancy

Wording for Professional Certification Letters Interim Occupancy

Wording for Professional Certification Letters No Occupancy

Inspection requests

Commercial inspection request form (recommended method)

Phone 204-986-5190 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday

Applicants will be contacted by email or phone to confirm their inspection date.

Do not use the request form for electrical inspections if the site is occupied without power. Call 204-986-5190 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. and state the condition. Call 311 outside business hours.

Electrical information centre
Electrical information, brochures, bylaws, and forms.

Mechanical and plumbing information centre
Mechanical and plumbing information, brochures, bylaws, and forms.

Last update: October 13, 2023

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.