Detached garages & accessory structures
The Zoning & Permits office does not accept walk-in customers and permit applications can be submitted digitally. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
Le bureau du zonage et des permis ne prend pas la clientèle qui se présente sur les lieux, et les demandes de permis peuvent être soumises de façon numérique. Pour toute question, appelez la ligne directe des permis au 204-986-5140.
Is a permit required?
Yes, a development permit is required.
Detached garages and other accessory structures greater than 10 m2 (108 sq. ft.) require a development permit as per the Winnipeg Zoning By-law. Detached accessory structures support the use of a single family or two-family dwelling on the same property. Examples include:
- storage sheds
Zoning and development permit approval must be obtained prior to building permit application.
Yes, a building permit is required.
Detached garages and other accessory structures greater than 10 m2 (108 sq. ft.) require a building permit as per the Winnipeg Building By-law.
Review the development and building permit process to help navigate application requirements.
- ensure you have obtained prerequisite zoning and development permit approval, where required for your project
- Detached garages & accessory structures building permit application form
- Owner statement (not required if owner is the applicant)
- Declaration form (if you have a prerequisite development permit)
- Site plan
- Building plans (construction plans and elevations)
Note: This is not required for retail lumber store standard garage packages.
- Professional designer's certificate for housing (if plans are sealed by an architect or engineer)
- Electrical installations
Note: A separate electrical permit is required for all detached garages and carports.
- Plumbing installations
- Development permits
How to apply
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
Please contact us.
Click before you dig
If your foundation is going to require digging below grade, visit clickbeforeyoudigmb.com or call 1‑800‑940‑3447.