Transit bus delays and cancellations possible beginning Monday, Nov 27. Check your bus schedule online before heading out.

Transit bus delays and cancellations possible beginning Monday, Nov 27. Check your bus schedule online before heading out.

Single family dwelling

Is a permit required?

Yes, a development permit is required.

All new homes require a development permit as per the Winnipeg Zoning By-law. Zoning and development permit approval is required prior to building permit application.

Yes, a building permit is required.

All new homes require a building permit as per the Winnipeg Building By-law.

Construction information

Application requirements

Review the development and building permit process to help navigate application requirements. 

Before applying for a building permit:

  • ensure you have obtained prerequisite zoning and development permit approval, where required for your project
    Note: New single/two family dwellings in new greenfield subdivisions with prior development agreements on title do not require prerequisite development permit approval. Instead, your development permit will be processed as part of your combined development/building permit application. Applications for accessory structures in greenfield subdivisions will also be processed as combined development/building permit applications if submitted at the same time as the new home application. New home applications only approve the new home construction. Accessory structures shown on new home constructions plans will be excluded from the approval and must be applied for separately.
  • confirm addressing requirements for any new construction by emailing

To apply for a building permit, provide the following documentation. Refer to the permit application for detailed information that must be included in each document.

For dwellings with more than five bedrooms:

  • Residential ventilation record or engineered mechanical drawings

    Note: All dwellings must meet heating season ventilation requirements as per the Manitoba Building Code.

Related permits

Special five-day permit programs

How to apply

Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.


Please contact us.

For more information on the following, call 311

  • Lot grade permit, sewer application, lot grade deposit and equalization credits or charges (Water and Waste Department)
  • Damage deposit and approach approval (Public Works Department)

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.