Transit bus delays and cancellations possible beginning Monday, Nov 27. Check your bus schedule online before heading out.
Single family dwelling
On January 1, 2024, the new Manitoba Building, Plumbing, Energy and Fire Codes will be in effect. See the 2024 construction codes implementation bulletin to learn about how the new codes will apply to your project.
Le 1er janvier 2024, les nouveaux codes du bâtiment, de la plomberie, de l’énergie et de la prévention des incendies du Manitoba entreront en vigueur. Consultez le bulletin sur la mise en œuvre des codes de construction de 2024 pour savoir comment les nouveaux codes s’appliqueront à votre projet.
Is a permit required?
Yes, a development permit is required.
All new homes require a development permit as per the Winnipeg Zoning By-law. Zoning and development permit approval is required prior to building permit application.
Yes, a building permit is required.
All new homes require a building permit as per the Winnipeg Building By-law.
Review the development and building permit process to help navigate application requirements.
Before applying for a building permit:
- ensure you have obtained prerequisite zoning and development permit approval, where required for your project
Note: New single/two family dwellings in new greenfield subdivisions with prior development agreements on title do not require prerequisite development permit approval. Instead, your development permit will be processed as part of your combined development/building permit application. Applications for accessory structures in greenfield subdivisions will also be processed as combined development/building permit applications if submitted at the same time as the new home application. New home applications only approve the new home construction. Accessory structures shown on new home constructions plans will be excluded from the approval and must be applied for separately.
- confirm addressing requirements for any new construction by emailing PropertyAddressing@winnipeg.ca
To apply for a building permit, provide the following documentation. Refer to the permit application for detailed information that must be included in each document.
- Construct new – single/two family dwelling building permit application form
(not required if owner is the applicant)
Note: For greenfield locations, provide a Letter of Authorization instead of the Owner Statement
- Declaration form (if you have a prerequisite development permit)
- Site plan
- Building plans
- Professional designer's certificate for housing (if plans are sealed by an engineer)
For dwellings with more than five bedrooms:
Residential ventilation record or engineered mechanical drawings
Note: All dwellings must meet heating season ventilation requirements as per the Manitoba Building Code.
Special five-day permit programs
- Design Coordinated Application program
Outlines the process for members of the Manitoba Home Builders' Association to expedite permit applications
How to apply
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
Please contact us.
For more information on the following, call 311
- Lot grade permit, sewer application, lot grade deposit and equalization credits or charges (Water and Waste Department)
- Damage deposit and approach approval (Public Works Department)