Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Community Services

Designated Growers Licence

A person must not carry on the business of operating a designated cannabis production facility without holding a subsisting Designated Growers Licence.

A designated cannabis production facility means:

  • The use of buildings or structures for cultivating, propagating, harvesting, drying, storing, packaging, or distributing cannabis.
  • The operator of the facility is authorized to produce cannabis for the medical use of specific individual(s) pursuant to Part 14 of the Cannabis Regulations.

A designated cannabis production facility does not include:

  • The use of buildings or structures by an individual to produce cannabis for their own personal medical use.

Application Process:

There are several ways to access the Designated Growers Licence application package:

  • Access the application package online.
  • Contact Licensing & Bylaw Enforcement to request an application package by mail.
  • Visit Licensing & Bylaw Enforcement and pick up the application package in person:
    • Main Floor, 395 Main St.
      Monday – Friday (except holidays)
      8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.


Ensure you fully understand and are prepared to meet all the requirements before submitting your application. Deficiencies in your application can lead to delays or a rejection of your application.

Use the Designated Growers Licence checklist to make sure you have all the required documents in place before submitting your application.

Prerequisites include:

  • Verification from a City employee authorized to administer and enforce the Winnipeg Zoning By-law that operation of the designated cannabis production facility on the premises for which the licence is sought is permitted under the Zoning By-law 200/2006.

  • Verification that the person has obtained a permit for a monitored alarm system under the Alarm By-law No. 4676/87 for the premises.

  • A copy of all permits or authorizations that are required for work to make the premises appropriate for cannabis production, including:

    • electrical permits;
    • building permits;
    • permits authorizing the installation of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems; and
    • any other permits or authorizations that the designated employee may request.
  • A copy of all permits or authorizations that are required by the provincial or federal authorities, including registration certificates issued by Health Canada.

  • Documents, in a form approved by the designated employee, that demonstrate that the person seeking to use the premises as a designated cannabis production facility:

    • is a registered owner of the premises; or
    • if not a registered owner of the premises, has permission from all registered owners to use the premises as a designated cannabis production facility.

For facilities that are planning to grow six or more cannabis plants, the following are also required:

  • Floor plans of the premises at which the proposed designated cannabis production facility would be located, indicating:

    • where the cannabis plants will be located;
    • where cannabis or cannabis products will be processed; and
    • where the secure cannabis storage area will be located.
  • Disposal plans for any cannabis or cannabis product that is not provided or delivered to the registered patient.

  • Storage plans for any cannabis or cannabis product produced prior to the designated grower providing or delivering such goods to the registered patient.

  • Plans for the provision or delivery of cannabis or cannabis products to the registered patient.

  • The names of all persons to be employed, engaged, or otherwise involved in the operation of the designated cannabis production facility.


See Licence Fees.

Fees are not permitted to be pro-rated or reduced; however, a recent Council-approved amendment to the Community Safety Business Licensing By-law now allows annual licences to be taken at any time of the year. Licences are valid for one year from date of purchase.

Renewal Period:



Zoning/Occupancy Inspection

By-law Enforcement Inspection

Other Information:

Community Safety Business Licensing By-law

Last update: January 10, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.