Is a permit required?

Yes, a development permit is required.

A development permit is required for all signs as per the Winnipeg Zoning By-law, with the exception of:

  • Window signs, unless they occupy more than 50 percent of a window surface (calculated between the mullions) on any façade of the principal building, in which case they are treated as a fascia sign.
  • Real estate signs, constructions signs and temporary signs that comply with section 180 of the Winnipeg Zoning By-law.

Yes, a building permit is required.

If structural work is proposed, a building permit is required as per the Winnipeg Building By-law. Typically, all signs other than face-replace-only signs require a building permit.

Construction information

  • Sample drawings
  • Free-standing signs structural requirements
  • The majority of signs require engineered drawings. Engineering is not typically required in the following scenarios, but there may be exceptions determined by the City:
    • Signs not greater than 3.0 m2 (32 sq. ft.) in area
    • Signs not greater than 1.22 m (4’-0”) above grade to the top of the sign
    • Signs with individual letters not greater than 0.37 m2 (4 sq. ft.) that are not attached to other letters and have independent building attachment
    • Face replacement of signs if no other changes are being made

Application requirements

Review the development and building permit process to help navigate application requirements. 

Applications for signs will be processed as combined development and/or building permit applications. Separate applications are not required.

To apply for a development and/or building permit, provide the following documentation. Refer to the permit application for detailed information that must be included in each document.

Related applications

How to apply

Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.


Please contact us.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.