North East Exchange District Engineering Study (2014)
This study is now complete.
An open house for the North East Exchange District Study was held on Wednesday, June 18, 2014 at Pantages Theatre.
- View the Open House Information Boards presented.
Your input will help inform the prioritization of future infrastructure improvements in the North East Exchange District. Thank you for your participation.
In recent years, the North East Exchange (see map below) has seen significant growth pressures, placing a greater demand on the area’s roadways, services, and pedestrian/cycling facilities. The City of Winnipeg recently retained MMM Group to conduct a study for the area that will provide the City with a blueprint for providing prioritized, coordinated infrastructure improvements (roads, sidewalks, bike paths, street furniture, underground services, landscaping, etc.) to the area over the next 10 years.
The objectives of the plan are to:
- Ensure the rights-of-way are compatible with the anticipated land use.
- Ensure all planned surface works are coordinated with planned underground improvements.
- Ensure the area is walkable and accessible.
- Provide recommendations to improve the ride-ability, drainage and condition of the pavement for the streets in the area.
- Ensure public transit amenities are accessible and available.
- Identify any improvements to bicycle parking or facilities.
- Ensure the design conforms to Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) principles.
- Provide sustainable and practical solutions for new tree installations, street lighting and other amenities.
- Determine future loading needs and on street parking supply.
|Nov 2013 to Apr 2014||Conduct technical study and background document review.|
|Feb to Apr 2014||Obtain input on infrastructure improvements through public participation.|
|May to Sept 2014||Prioritize infrastructure improvements based on prioritization criteria.|
|June 2014||Obtain feedback on recommended prioritized infrastructure improvements through public participation.|
|June to Sept 2014||Refine recommendations and implementation plan.|
|Sept 2014||Submit final recommendations and implementation plan to the City of Winnipeg for review.|
Resources & Key Links: