Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Braille, Wheelchair, Large Print, and Sign Language

Accessibility Services
Provided Upon Request

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service

Halloween Safety Tips

Halloween safety tips from the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service and Winnipeg Police Service

Costume safety tips for trick-or-treaters
  • Wear a bright and reflective costume.
  • Carry a flashlight and use glow sticks or reflective tape as part of your costume.
  • Stay away from open flames and make sure you know how to stop, drop and roll if your clothing catches fire.
  • Use make-up instead of a mask because masks can shift and obscure vision.
  • To prevent falls, ensure your costumes fits well and isn't too long.
Trick-or-treating safety tips
  • Trick-or-treat when it is still light outside and never enter a stranger's home.
  • Children and youth should be accompanied by an adult while trick-or-treating. Young people should trick-or-treat in a group, especially if an adult is not present.
  • Parents should discuss with children and youth the route they will be travelling and what time they are required to return home. Plan a trick-or-treat route ahead of time and pick well-lit streets.
  • Stay on sidewalks, and look left, right and left again to be sure no cars are approaching before crossing the street. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
  • Always cross the street at corners and crosswalks. Never cross between parked cars or in the middle of the block.
  • Do not take short cuts, especially through alleys.
Candy and treat safety tips
  • Trick-or-treaters should only eat treats that have been examined by an adult caregiver.
  • When examining treats, caregivers should look for signs of tampering including unusual appearance or discolouration, tiny pinholes, or tears in wrappers. Avoid homemade treats. Throw away anything that looks suspicious.
  • Choking occurs most frequently among children under two years of age, but can happen at any age. Eating while playing, running, jumping, or talking increases the likelihood of choking.
  • Only commercially-wrapped candy should be handed out to trick-or-treaters.
  • Caregivers should be aware that many Halloween treats are not labeled with ingredients and can contain nuts, eggs, dairy products, and other allergens. Care should be taken to only allow children with food allergies to consume treats that have the ingredients listed. Treats should also be removed from packages prior to consuming to avoid cross contamination with non-safe products.
Jack-o-lantern and home safety tips
  • Children should not use knives or other sharp instruments to carve pumpkins and should be supervised by an adult during pumpkin-carving activities.
  • It is safest to use a flashlight, glow stick or battery-operated candle in a jack-o-lantern. If you use a real candle, use extreme caution. Make sure children are supervised when candles are lit.
  • Be sure to place lit pumpkins well away from anything that can burn and away from trick-or-treaters, doorsteps, and walkways.
  • Remember to keep exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes.
  • Make sure your home is well-lit and your yard is clear and safe.
  • Keep your pets secure so no harm comes to them or trick-or-treaters.
  • Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations well away from all open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
  • The Winnipeg Police Service should be notified immediately of any suspicious or unlawful activity.
ATTENTION DRIVERS! Children will be very excited and their actions could be sudden and unpredictable. Exercise caution and drive slowly.

Have a safe and happy Halloween!
Last update: October 26, 2016

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.