Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Braille, Wheelchair, Large Print, and Sign Language

Accessibility Services
Provided Upon Request

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service

Inspection Explanatory Notes

Complaint Generated Inspections
These inspections are generated as a result of complaints received from the general public, various other agencies and from firefighters. The Fire Prevention Branch cannot predict the number of complaints that will be received during the year. Re-inspection fees are charged when a property receives a second re-inspection.

Post Fire Inspections
Post Fire inspections are conducted as a result of fire occurring in a building. The inspection is conducted to ensure that fire protection and life safety equipment is functioning properly and/or that a building is safe for occupancy. These inspections are identified as a result of information received from Fire Investigations and identified fires responded to by WFPS. There are fees with post fire inspections which are often recoverable through insurance.

License Inspections
The Fire Prevention Branch is mandated to conduct inspections of Converted Residential Dwellings where the ownership has changed; these inspections are in accordance with the City of Winnipeg licensing requirements regulated by the Doing Business in Winnipeg By-law 91/2008.

Occupancy Inspections
These are inspections conducted as a result of permit and plan review for new building construction, additions and occupancy changes in existing buildings. There are no inspection fees unless a second re-inspection occurs.

Provincial Day Cares
Inspections conducted at the request of the Province for the licensing of Day Care facilities.

Provincial Residential Care
Inspections conducted at the request of the Province for the licensing of Residential Care facilities. A flat fee is charged.

Requested Inspections
These inspections are typically conducted at the request of lawyers or mortgage companies, on behalf of their clients, when a property transaction takes place. However, any property owner can request an inspection. There is an hourly fee charged for this service.

Provincially Mandated Scheduled Inspections
In 2007 the Province of Manitoba introduced a new Provincial Regulation which requires a fire safety inspection of certain occupancies at a predetermined frequency. The intent of this Regulation is to provide an increased level of safety for the general public. The new Regulation requires an annual inspection of all:
  • Elderly Persons' Housing Units or Hostels
  • Child Care Centres
  • Personal Care Homes
  • Residential Care Facilities
  • Hospitals
The new Regulation also requires an inspection once every three years of all:
  • Licensed premise as defined in the Liquor Control Act
  • Private and public schools including Universities and Colleges
  • Recreation Centres including Arenas, Community Clubs and Curling Rinks
  • Restaurants located in residential buildings
  • Hotels and motels

Fire Prevention Scheduled Inspections
The Fire Prevention By-law also requires scheduled occupancy inspections and some scheduled inspections are resulting from City Council decisions and may not be included in the Fire Prevention By-law.
Converted Residential Dwellings with shared facilities
F1 High hazard industrial occupancy
Food trucks / trailers, food carts, commissaries
Every 30 Months:
Converted Residential Dwellings
Every Three Years:
F2 Medium hazard industrial occupancies
Every Five Years:
F3 Low hazard industrial occupancies
In order for the Winnipeg Fire Department to meet the legal requirements of these regulations, the costs associated with providing this service will be recovered (on a cost recovery basis) by means of inspection fees charged to the business owner and/or facility. The inspection fee is based on actual inspection time, the Fire Inspector's report writing time, and travel time for all initial and follow-up inspections.

Fireworks, Pyrotechnics and Flame Effects
A permit is required for all fireworks, pyrotechnic displays and flame effects. Permits for Consumer Fireworks displays on property citizens do not own, must be obtained at the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service, Fire Prevention Branch on the second floor, 185 King Street. A permission letter is required.

Open-Air permits
The number of Burn permits issued varies from year to year. Since 2005, residential back yard burning in fire pits no longer requires a permit while all other types of burning require a permit and a permit fee.

Property File Search
At the request of a lawyer, on behalf of a client, a property file search is conducted by the City to determine if there are any outstanding violations and/or Orders from Health, Planning, Property and Development, or Fire Prevention Branch for a property. A property file search does not generate an inspection; it is merely a search of existing records. Property file searches are coordinated through Planning, Property and Development and there is also a fee associated with these.

Plan Examination
Fire Prevention provides a plan review service on behalf of Planning, Property and Development to ensure that Building Code requirements are met for water supply and firefighting access to buildings. The number of plan examinations is dependent on the volume of permits obtained. Permits for development, construction, specific events, large tents, etc., are examined by the Fire Prevention Branch Plan Examiner. Permit fees vary.

Fire Safety Plan Review
Various occupancies are required to produce and annually update a Fire Safety Plan. The Manitoba Fire Code describes buildings required to have a Fire Safety Plan as well as the content of the plan.

Last update: May 29, 2017

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.