Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Victoria Day – Monday, May 20. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services.

Victoria Day – Monday, May 20. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services.

Braille, Wheelchair, Large Print, and Sign Language

Accessibility Services
Provided Upon Request

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service

Fire Safety Inspections

Fire Prevention Officers conduct inspections on all occupancies within the city of Winnipeg with the exception of one- and two-family dwellings. Since 2007 the province has mandated inspections for various occupancies at scheduled intervals. The Fire Prevention By-law also requires various scheduled occupancy inspections and some scheduled inspections are resulting from City Council decisions and may not be included in the Fire Prevention By-law.

Provincially mandated inspections conducted by Winnipeg Fire Prevention Officers:

  • Elderly Person's Housing or Hostels
  • Personal Care Homes
  • Child Care Centres
  • Residential Care Facilities
  • Hospitals
Every Three Years:
  • Licenced premise as defined in the Liquor Control Act
  • Private & public schools including Universities & Colleges
  • Recreation Centres including Arenas, Community Clubs & Curling Rinks
  • Hotels and motels
  • Restaurants located in residential buildings
Fire Prevention Inspections conducted as required; not scheduled:
  • Complaints
  • Construction site inspections of commercial and multi-family buildings
  • Licence inspections required by the Licensing Branch of Planning Property and Development
  • Life safety test inspections for new buildings prior to occupancy
  • Occupancy inspections for new building prior to occupancy
  • Post fire inspections
  • Requested inspections (for a fee) Release for Inspection Form
  • Miscellaneous, special events and tent inspections
  • Illegal use of occupancies (e.g. rooming house)
  • Fireworks, pyrotechnic and flame effect site inspections
  • Fireworks distribution occupancy inspections

Fire Prevention Scheduled Inspections:

  • Converted Residential Dwellings with shared facilities
  • F1 High hazard industrial occupancy
  • Food trucks / trailers, food carts, commissaries
Every 30 Months:
  • Converted Residential Dwellings
Every Three Years:
  • F2 Medium hazard industrial occupancies
Every Five Years:
  • F3 Low hazard industrial occupancies

Fire Inspection Fees and Service Rates

Last update: May 26, 2017

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.